37mm Gun Shell

I have this 37mm shell dated 1916 and I would like to know who made it. Pretty sure Winchester made the case. I am not familiar with wit the PEM co. Also the shell has a rib on it and I am not sure if it is from being dropped alot or if it was done purposely so that the shell could not be chambered but made safe so that it could come back across the sea for collecting. The rib is the same all the way around the shell. I didn’t notice the rib until I got it home. Any other info would be great.

I can’t answer your questions, but I think if Winchester made the case it would be marked as such.

I have P.E.M.Co listed as Poole Engineer & Machine Co, Woodberry, MD,USA.

U.S. 37x92mm for use with the French Puteaux Infantry Gun Mle 1916, WW1.

Steel shell MK1 and cartridge case MK1.

As ron3350 said in his post above the case was made by P.E.M.Co.

The projectile is/was base fuzed with a MK1 fuze.
Something to consider- is the projectile still base fuzed and loaded with black powder (starting in 1918 the projectiles were loaded with TNT)???

Considerable force would be needed to upset and form the rib in the case. A possible explanation is someone started to make this into a piece of trench art but did not finish the process.

Information is from A GUN FOR ALL NATIONS The 37 mm Gun & Ammunition, Vol. II 1914-1926 (2012); Mellichamp, Robert, A.; page 315

It is marked with a small circle with W inside as can be seen on the bottom of the case head in the pic.

Thanks for the info bdgreen. I don’t know about the fuse, for the projectile is firmly crimped to the casing and I don’t want to try and pull it.

AH, now I see why you thought that, but tI think hat is most likely an inspectors mark.
Other shells of this type made by Winchester show a headstamp similar to this one below, which is on a different case type / shape but still a 37mm.
WRACo 37mm HS

I don’t know about this shell, but I’ve had .380 ACP shells that looked like that after applying way too much crimp.

During the Great War when the U.S. was manufacturing ordnance for the British Government it was the practice to show the monogram of the contractor and if applicable, the monogram of the sub-contractor. There was a great deal of sub-contracting. In respect of British contracts, Winchester are known to have been sub-contractors to both Bethlehem Steel Company and E.W. Bliss. On stores manufactured under this agreement, Winchester showed their monogram as an encircled ‘W’ (see attached). Whether this protocol was followed when manufacturing ordnance for the U.S., I don’t know, but from that case it would appear so.
Q 2   4, 5 IN HOWITZER CASE

1 Like

Very interesting, it certainly looks to be the same mark.

Learn something new here every day.