37x95R Hotchkiss "37-85 PDPs 1 10 14 D Õ"

2 questions:

1. What’s little D inside the circle?
  2. What’s the purpose of a central protrusion at the bottom of the projectile? This projectile may or may not be original.

Vlad

I have no idea what the D is.

I believe the projection on the base of the projectile is a vestige of the rough casting process. Most of the PDPs common projectiles seem to have it.

Your projectile is missing the firing pin and the lead washer between the fuze and projectile body. It appears to be an original but there is no way to say whether or not it’s original to that particular case? As Hillary would say, “What difference does it make?”

Ray

Early in the war the casting lump was machined off the base of the projectile. However, later on they left it to speed up the manufacturing process.

[quote=“RayMeketa”]Vlad

I have no idea what the D is.
I believe the projection on the base of the projectile is a vestige of the rough casting process. Most of the PDPs common projectiles seem to have it.
Your projectile is missing the firing pin and the lead washer between the fuze and projectile body. It appears to be an original but there is no way to say whether or not it’s original to that particular case? As Hillary would say, “What difference does it make?”

Ray[/quote]

Hi

[color=#8000FF]I have no idea what the D is.[/color]
A letter in a circle + flaming grenade = Attribution to the french Navy.
The letter in the circle is a control code (area / town / arsenal …)

[color=#8000FF]. What’s the purpose of a central protrusion at the bottom of the projectile? This projectile may or may not be original.[/color]
Projectile & case are 100% original.
The bottom is not flat (sometimes it is flat, because reworked and machined). Generally, it is like your shell; simplification of production , it is the form of the initial
step of fabrication (cast metal & fusion block of metal) and turret machine.

French 37-85 Cut

Re-worked bottom :

From french forum “forum de la Grande Guerre” :

Merci boncoup. And what does the black stamped part around the headstamp say? I have problems deciphering the writing. And, yes, there is a naval anchor on the fuse.

These black stenciled marks are difficult to find today on the cases, because fragile.
They give i think informations about the “load” of the case (Pownder origin, factory which loaded the cartridge, date …)