.38 Colt Long (Inside Lubricated)

Which calibre is this? It measures about 9x26mm. It must be something very common.

DSCF3109

This is a .38 Colt Army (Long Colt, Inside Lubricated).

1 Like

Thanks. This era is so confusing to me, probably because I have no guns from that time.

Vlad - perhaps the municion.org site only had the one photo. There are likely dozens of headstamps for .38 Long Colt. It was a civilian cartridge, and then the military started using it. I used to have a collection of the Revolvers for this, and I believe they started with the Model of 1892. Could be wrong, lots of years since I parted with them. It seemed like they were renaming the Model Date because of small changes about every two years for the Army, and then there were Navy and even a USMC version of the revolver. Along with the Colt Lightning Model and other later Clt civilian revolvers in this caliber, as I say, there are many headstamps. The military ones add to it as there are different months and years.

I am sure there are scarce headstamps, but .38 Long Colt in general is a very common cartridge.

John Moss

1 Like

Sorry, John, I remove that info because I looked under .38 Army which was the wrong calibre. My mistake.There are many headstamps under .38 Army Long Colt.

Vlad there were commercially headstamped rounds and also various military contract dated headstamps (US, Peters REM, UMC, WRACo, WCCo) plus the many, many, Frankford dated examples plus, case finishes, dummies & blanks. If you collect dates you could easily have several hundred examples. And you can add to it with a healthy number of non-US makers.

1 Like

The earliest version of the .38 long colt, with the outside lubed bullet, was used in Colt 1851 percussion navy revolvers converted to metallic cartridges for the U.S. Navy. The round had a surprisingly long service life. Jack

2 Likes

Jack - interesting. I didn’t know of the conversions of 1851 Colt’s for the Navy. Any information on what year these conversions were made and delivered to the Navy?

John

John: Colt converted a quantity of '51 percussion navies for the Navy in the serial range 41,000-91,000 in, it appears, the early to mid-1870s. These seemingly remained in naval service until the double actions came in in the late 1880s. Jack

1 Like