.38 Short (S&W) from Palencia

This is a box of .38 Smith & Wesson cartridges made in Palencia. Loaded experimentally with nickel plated Boxer primers.

10.15 gram (157 grains) roundnose solid lead bullet. Both knurled and plain bullets were used.

This round was named “.38 Short” to distinguish it from the .38 Special, which was named “.38 Long” at that time.

Reference: Molina-Orea 1992, page 821.

Schneider

Do you mean that those were names given by SB in Palencia? I’ve not heard of the 38 Special ever being called a 38 Long, which was a cartridge that preceeded it.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]
Do you mean that those were names given by SB in Palencia? I’ve not heard of the 38 Special ever being called a 38 Long, which was a cartridge that preceeded it.

Ray[/quote]

Yes, I do. But don’t just take my word, you can see it printed on the boxes.

Schneider

I guess I wasn’t clear. I’m not saying that SB did not label the boxes that way. I’m asking if “38 Long” for a “38 Special” was unique to SB? And how were they headstamped??

Ray

Ray,
I recall the ‘long’ designation was discussed on an earlier thread. The cartridge was referred to as the .38 S&W Long by European ammunition makers. The case length was longer than the .38 Long Colt, and shorter than the .38 Special. This box was made by (or for) Braun & Bloem.