.38 short shot with tan paper sabot

I noticed several weeks ago what appears to be a new entry for a ‘38 Short Shot, Tan Sabot, NHS or Rsd A’ in the Inch Rimfire Cartridges section of the Collector Cartridge Prices listing with the notation ‘NRS’ rather than a price. The definition of NRS is not provided, but I suspect it means ‘No Recent Sale’ or ‘No Recorded Specimen’ (or maybe ‘Not Real Sure’); regardless, they must be considered uncommon. I believe the ‘standard’ raised A .38 short rimfire shot sabot is a salmon color, which could be called tan. Has anyone here actually seen one of these tan sabot cartridges? I’ve included a couple of photos of two .38 short shot rimfires with paper sabots and raised A headstamps; the one on the right with what I believe is the standard salmon color and the one on the left appearing to be tan but more likely just a worn salmon.

1 Like

And in these photos, a salmon sabot on the left followed by four not so salmon sabots, all out of the same box. It appears the four seemingly tan sabots don’t have the shiny reddish varnished look of the one on the left. Perhaps they somehow bypassed the stage of production where the salmon colored finish was applied, resulting in their tan color.

1 Like

As you point out relatively common, so no idea as to the why of the NRS notation.
I have 4 variations: headstamp size & slight color variations to the sabot.

I’m adding a photo of a box of unheadstamped Phoenix .38 short shot with a tan sabot.

Can anyone explain the NRS (No Recent Sale) listing for a ‘38 Short Shot, Tan Sabot, NHS or Rsd A’ on the Collector Cartridge Prices rimfire listing. Perhaps the editors of the price list could provide some insight.

I’d suggest you e-mail the guys that put together the list, Names are at the top of the pages & John Kuntz is probably doing most of the work on this. I don’t think he uses the forum much, so posting the ‘problem’ here will not catch his attention.

Great Phoenix box. Wonder what the under label is?

Barber guesstimates that the raised P headstamp was first used in 1878 or 1879. This box of unheadstamped cartridges with it’s 1879 patent date could have only been made in 1879 at the earliest, suggesting the headstamp came into use in 1879 or later.

I suspect there isn’t an underlabel; the red appears to be just the color of the paper that covers the box. However, if it was a more common box, I’d be tempted to steam the label off to see. Here’s the side label; note the word ‘shot’ is on this label three times. I guess they didn’t want a customer to mistakenly buy shot cartridges.