38 Special Nyclad Smith & Wesson

38 Special Smith & Wesson Nyclad coated lead hollow point, nickel coated brass case.
The Nyclad coating must be sprayed on. If you notice that the inside of the hollow point has little specs of the nyclad material.

I have been told that the bullets were dipped in nylon powder and then baked to create the coating.

These bullets came and went over here. Are they still produced? Another one of the externally coated bullets that seemed (IMO) to have missed the point that lead bullets need more than external coating to prevent leading . much of the external coating gets scraped off passing through the leed and barrel leaving raw lead in contact with the rifling. OK for duty firing when only one or two shots are fired but no good at the range for a day’s sustained training or practice.Our police tried them out for a while but didn’t stick with them

I recently obtained several boxes of the later versions of Federal Nyclad 158 grain ammo from an auction. These were factory rejects that had problems with the Nyclad coating. Some had extra blobs of coating over the case mouths, others, the coating was not uniform or had peeling. The vast majority was in great shape however. Most of the boxes had this label.

There were a couple different ones though.

Unfortunately, someone wrote auction-related numbers on those boxes, as I don’t think the factory did that, but maybe I am wrong.

Along this same line of Nylon coated ammo, does anybody know what the story is behind the ARES ammo which came in various colors of FMJ bullets or maybe they are LRN coated?:

I know they came in at least 9mm and .45acp, probably other calibers as well.

Ares is simply a commercial reloader in Topol’cany, Slovakia, run by Josef Mongel. They also made new ammunition (not reloads) at least some of which had their own headstamp. I have quite a number of these in my collection in 9 mm Para, and a couple in .45, but no others. However, their catalog online, which when I last printed one in April 2009 had lots of pictures but almost no real information, shows bullets of many different calibers. I don’t know the idea of the different colors of coating on the lead bullets - frankly, it seems to be nothing more than a sales gimmick, without any special use for identification or any other practical use. Bullet shapes are numerous and colors endless.

IN their 2008 online catalog, they offered shotgun ammunition, in attractive boxes of their own brand. Unfortunately, the pictures were scant and small, exceeded in their lack of information only by the total absence of any written data on their rounds. (or at least written data that would print out). They spruce up a collection, but since most encountered are reloads, only the projectiles are really of any real collector interest. Of course, that’s tru about a lot of “special purpose” ammunition.

John Moss

DK,

Here’s the ARES website.

ares-gun.sk/?page=1