.38 Worrel Auto Loading Rifle?

Well, as an Christmas present for myself, I purchased a copy of “The Best of Guns and Ammo 1958-1962” which was published in 1974. In said book was Cedric Larson’s article mainly concerning Philip Medicus entitled, “So You Want to Collect Cartridges”. At the top of the page is a whole row of cartridges, one of which is identified as the “.38 Worrel auto loading rifle” It is a straight walled cartridge with no discernible rim (in that picture). Being especially interested in autoloading rifles and such, would anyone tell me about the .38 Worrel and it’s “auto loading rifle”?

I can only find a mention of a .30 Worrel.

I would not doubt that a mistake like substituting .38 for .30 would be very likely to happen. As I have no independent knowledge of whether the cartridge is actually .30 Worrel instead of .38, I may be mistakenly referring to .30 Worrel.

Heck, tell us about the .30 Worrel. I have never heard of it! Pictures if possible.

There is/was a Worrell rifle, but not much is known about it. You can Google it and get a couple of hits.

ray

Ray - with a google search, I found nothing of any value on the Worrell rifle, which from the context of the other rifles mentioned, was probably from the 19th Century and with no connection to any “Worrel Autoloading Rifle.” I found nothing on the latter.

Armourer - you said you could only find a .30 Worrel. I can’t even find that. What’s it got to say about the cartridge?

Listed in Buttweiler Vol X, No 1, lot 231 and Vol XII, No 3, Lot 280 with the same description for each: “although first identified in the No. 3 catalogue of Philip J. Medicus (early 1950s) we have yet to discover further information on this .30 WORRELL. The round is constructed with a cylindrical brass case, made without rim or extraction groove. There is a simple small-diameter copper primer in the base and a flatnose lead bullet seated in the mouth. The only reference we can find to any sort of Worrell is a 1910 U.S. patent (967098) granted to a John E. Worrell of Indiana for an adapter cartridge with split ring. However, this cartridge seems totally unrelated. According to Medicus it was for an experimental “auto-loading” rifle. We have polled several advanced collectors and although each knew of the cartridge, none were able to provide further information.”

Rich,

Thank you. that’s more than we knew before your posting.

How good is the picture you have in G&A? Can you scan it and post it?