380 Blank with " * REV. * 380" HS

Any thoughts on who made this and when? It has a rolled crimp with a tan varnished wad.
rev 380 blank 1 REV 380 Blamnk 1

Thanks

Paul

1 Like

White and Munhall lists it as unknown. Seen with steel case loaded and blank. Is this steel or brass?
Dan

Dan,

It appears to be brass.

Paul

While not identical in minor details, this headstamp, for content, is highly reminiscent of that on a .32 Automatic (7.65 mm Browning) cartridge in my own collection, which is confirmed to have been made by Leon Beaux & Cie., Milano, Italy. There is also a 7.63 Mauser cartridge with similar headstamp style made by Beaux. The .32 Auto and .30 Mauser rounds are ball cartridges, not blanks. With the terminology on the headstamp in English and for the caliber, inch measurement, this .32 was likely primarily for export.

Below a picture, albeit not a very good one, of the .32 Auto cartridge mentioned above. Despite its appearance, it is not a raised headstamp, an illusion caused by the scanner.

7.65 mm LB Italy Automatic 32

The stars’ design is different, and the type of firearms is not abbreviated, but they seem to me to be too similar to be coincidental.

Edited to add explanatory details.

John Moss

The top one is unknown as to who manufactured but various revolver calibers were made for Moritz & Gerstenberger, Gussenstadt, Germany. I have .320, .380 and .450 headstamps. Starter blanks made in the 1920’s and 1930’s. I think some were made by various manufacturers as the .450 has different stars than the .300 series calibers.

Considering the same style of headstamp (type of gun rather than make of ammunition, two stars, and inch-measurement caliber designations), but some differences, especially in the design of the “stars”, there IS a good possibility of different manufacturers producing for a single distributor of these cartridges. A good thought that I had not considered in my original remarks. While the 7.65 Browning round and 7.63 Mauser rounds are believed, with some good reason, to be made by Leon Beaux, there certainly is the possibility that other calibers with the same headstamp styles were made by other manufacturers.

John Moss

On the Rev style here are my examples…320 and .380 same stars and fonts while the .450 differs
rev stars 320 rev stars 380 better rev stars 450

Here is my roll crimp blank with 5 point stars.
REV.  320 Blank
With the 380’s found with steel cases also, I hope someone “finds” a box!
Dan

so 3 different series of stars thus far…some also have a dot after the REV others do not. Does anyone have anymore of these?
Just an educated guess from comparisons and by no means any proof but the stars on these series look similar to stars used by Hirtenberger, RWS and DWM and would be a logical supplier during this time period in Germany. See if any more turn up or even better a box or an ad.

added: Former discussion with a box

After a quick Internet search I found a collector of their guns in the Czech republic. I picked up the phone and called but was a bit of a language barrier so chatted via translated online.
His knowledge was that all the starter pistols came with some ammunition, some with both flares and blanks. Rimfires came with ammunition by Gustav Genschow. Centerfires came with ammunition by Sellier Bellot and by RWS. Not sure who made what Rev cartridges but the stars should assist. He insists there are only 2 suppliers however there are 3 headstamp styles clearly seen. At least we know some of the players now and the stars do match their styles on other known headstamps by SB and RWS. Proof?..no… but closer.

I am in possession of 2 steel cased Revolver rounds one has the stamp REV 380and 2 stars copper
primer lead bullet (short) The other same steel case stamp RWS 380 dark bluish primer more pointed
lead bullet I think the first round was also made by RWS???
Sherryl