4.6x30 for Norwegian Police

I recently managed to get 2 of the new ammunition for the Police. The caliber is 4.6 x 30, and it’s used in HK’s MP-7. We also have this gun in the army, so I will try to get ordinary Ball and Tracer, and any other kind used by the Army.

The two rounds pictured has like a lead tip, I don’t have any information about them. Headstamp is DAG 13

Shown together with 7.62 x 51 and a .22LR

Then you also should look for the red plastic blank made by Bakelittfabrikken.

This one I examined recently:

HS is 3x120°: BF 12 04

I have two of those, too. They are «frangible» projectiles which shatter at impact. My two examples are also headstamped DAG 13.

In addition I have a BF plastic blank like the one EOD shows, as well as a regular FMJ round and one with a gray-coloured projectile that seems to be solid.

I’ll upload a photo of them all for reference.

Here they are. Nevermind the löffelspitz and 4,73 mm.

I have to correct myself, one of my two frangible rounds is from 09.

From left to right:
4,6 x 36 mm HK
4,73 x 33 mm HK
Ball, DAG 05
Frangible, DAG 13
Frangible, DAG 09
Unknown, DAG 11
Plastic blank, 05-BF-12

The 2nd from right is also a frangible. Often seen on Fiocchi cases.

The MP-7 was brought into use by certain special units of the Norwegian police some years ago. The most commonly encountered ammunition for it is the NM249 red plastic blank produced by Nammo Bakelittfabrikken, Aurskog, Norway, 1,7 g Semi-Frangible produced by RUAG in Fürth, Germany and ball produced by Nammo Vanäsverken in Karlsborg, Sweden.

NM249 blank
(Strange, EOD, mine has the same headstamp as yours…)

1,7 g Semi-Frangible

2,0 g Ball

Several other types, such as Fiocchi, Radway Green and other RUAG types, including the 2,6 g DM21 may be found in Norway, as the military forces have also used the MP-7 for some years.

morten

Dankeschön for your information, EOD.

Very interesting, Morten. I knew our police has used 9 x 19 mm by Fiocchi, but not 4,6 x 30 mm.
On the 50-metre range of our local shooting center, which the local police uses, I’ve picked about a hundred or so 4,6 mm casings with the headstamp:
4,6x30
DAG1DM1157
Seemingly, our local PD doesn’t practice brass conservation.
Looking into the backstop the last time I was there I found heaps of projectiles in bad shape. Seemed to be homogeneous copper, can anyone confirm?

Morten, do you know whether the 03-CG-11 2,0g ball round you show have homogeneous projectiles, or if not, then «green» projectiles without lead? I haven’t seen any of those here before.

[quote=“morten”]
(Strange, EOD, mine has the same headstamp as yours…)

morten[/quote]

Odd, no?
Actually not mine as it is in a Police reference collection now.

Thank you for sharing the CG headstamp, that is the first I have seen.

Frangible Projectiles ( Sintered Copper or Copper-Resin Composite) used in a lot of Calibres for Training Police in Indoor Ranges, and also for Built-up areas Service use (to prevent Over-penetration with deleterious consequences)
Secondary effect in Indoor ranges is reduction of Lead Contamination…Primers are probably also “Lead Free” as well.

Doc AV

Thanks for all the info, I surely have to look out for those.

My rounds were also picked up on a range after the police had training, seems like they don’t have so good routines to pick up ammunition after they practice.

[quote=“psg1”]Thanks for all the info, I surely have to look out for those.

My rounds were also picked up on a range after the police had training, seems like they don’t have so good routines to pick up ammunition after they practice.[/quote]Our police do pick up their brass, but since the grass can be a bit high at times, they do also leave some for us collectors. DAG and Fiocchi, but I’m not home so can’t give the exact Hs’

Our Police has a bad reputation for leaving quite a bit of live ammo at the range, and sometimes even pistols and submachineguns…

I have the same impression as psg1. My local range is used by both police and military, and both care little about the mess they make.

Hundreds of casings, live rounds, cardboard boxes, plastic holders/stripper clips and even MREs are left all over the range. At least I haven’t found any P30Ls- yet…

Don’t you Norwegian chaps leave anything behind on the range floors that you find there. Collectors all over the world are begging for this stuff. Live rounds, boxes, fired cases…! Our range is used by Police also, and before I had to stop going to the range, I found some boxes, an occasional live round, and many fired cases for my collection. By and large though, they picked up the range fairly well (unfortunately). Of course, our Club required it of them in their rental agreement, I believe.

tennsats, the unknown round is a frangible loading using a SinterFire copper/tin bullet.

Fede, thank you very much! I’ll have to be on the look-out for those in other calibres too.

John, I’ll have to bring a rake and a bucket the next time I go to the range… there are really more cases than you can bother to pick up.

Tennsatts - Its the same at our range, but mostly from club members and civilian shooters. I stopp at five or siz when I find a batch of some empty cases that I don’t recognize. About the same for loaded rounds. I seldom found more than one or two pieces of interesting boxes, so they were easy.

I have added a lot to my own collection from our range floor, and to the collections of others, as well.

I was half-teasing on my answer, but it is true that few if any of those 4 x 30s for Norway, or boxes for them, show up here. I have none in my own collection, although I admit of late I have not been aggresive in trying to find them. All the new stuff is simply overwhelming, especially when you can’t give much time to the hobby.

Thanks for adding the information to the Forum. We always love to here from you chaps in Scandavia, becuase you always bring to the Forum interesting and informative stuff. Thank you all for that.

I never leave anything behind on the range, I bring home boxes and live round whenever I find. Free trading items.

[quote] Free trading items.[/quote]Exactly…! :-)
-Soren

Training and frangible rounds produced by RUAG are built like a conventional jacketed soft-point projectile. Both weigh 1.7 g and have a muzzle velocity of about 650 m/s from the MP7.
The training projectile has a tin alloy core.
The frangible projectile has a core made up of copper imbedded in a polymer matrix and the name Cesaroni is mentioned with it.
The Action (police use) is a solid projectile (no jacket) made up of copper alloy (2.0 g at 710 m/s).