4.6x30 H&K

One of the newest military cartridges in the free world is the H&K 4.6x30 for the MP7 PDW. A tiny beauty and a remarkable weapons. Does any one have any of the other loads besides the black tip? I will have some of these up on Auctionarms this week. German, British and S. Korean military and police units are using this and the US has tested it for special forces use.

“The 4.6x30mm ammunition is loaded with pointed all-steel bullets with brass jacket. Bullet weight is 1.6 gram (25 grains) and the muzzle velocity is 725 m/s (ca. 2400 fps). Manufacturer claims the 100% penetration of the CRISAT body armor (1.6mm of Titanium plus 20 layers of Kevlar) at the distance of 200 meters. Other types of ammunition, including tracer, frangible, spoon-tip (rapid-tumbling for use against unarmored human targets), blank and trill (inert) also available for MP7A1; ammunition is currently manufactured in UK by BAE Systems / Radway Green plant.” MODERN FIREARMS.

EXPERIMENTAL,EXPERIMENTAL,PRODUCTION,PRODUCTION BLANK

I have seen inert rounds in this calibre go for about

I have eight loads in this calibre produced by the UK, Germany and now also by G.F.L.,Italy.
I apologise in advance if the scans haven’t come out too well - I haven’t posted on this site for a long while and am a bit out of practice!
From right to left (scanning error!!) they are;
4.6mm Ball - Radway Green solid steel copper plated 24.7gn bullet.
4.6mm ‘Super Combat’ Ball - Dynamit.
4.6mm ‘Super Combat’ Ball - GFL, Italy, blackened primer.
4.6mm Ball - Dynamit molybdenum coated bullet.
4.6mm ‘Loffelspitz’ Ball - Radway Green spoonpoint bullet.
4.6mm Sub-sonic - Radway Green conical flat-tipped bullet.
4.6mm Hard Frangible - Radway Green - bullet made of unknown heavy copper coloured material.
4.6mm Frangible - Radway Green - lightweight flat-tipped bullet made of compressed plastic/copper material.
Jim

Here is some more info on the 4.6x30mm (have a look at one page of my website), click here

Joost

Very fine - what is the black tip round ? British made.

Which round is it that you are refering to? The only round which would appear to me to have a coloured tip is the 2nd from left and this is the Radway Green ‘Hard Frangible’. It does not have a coloured tip as such, having looked at it closely I’d guess it’s a two part bullet with the nose portion being made of a slightly darker metal. Hope this helps.
Jim

I received a box from the US testing. The shells all have a black tip. The box says " RORG 30/05/01 20 RDS 4.6mm BALL " . I have put up the photos on the original posting.

Interesting round CSAEOD, I have never seen these before.

I think one can compare this with the 5.7x28mm. In the USA the belgium produced ball round is marked with a black tip because of its penatration abillities. Therefore it is marked as a armour piercing round (black tip, the normal NATO code)
probably these 4.6x30mm rounds are also just marked with a black tip, but my guess is that it simply is a british produced ball round.

This is not based on any evidence, but just my guess…
hope this helps,

Joost

The fellow these came from claimed that they were tested at Aberdeen PG for their armor piercing ability. These little cartridges seem to be quite good at penetrating light armor.

I think that you are correct about the color code for US use.

I was told the black tip are AP, but the black does come off of them relatively easily. The first were going for about $10, but I have lately seen them for as low as $3-5.00 each. They are the most common of the 4.6 I’ve seen here in the US, and wouldn’t pay much for them.

Another variation I had - and sold, although the buyer didn’t follow through and I will be re-listing it soon - is allegedly a subsonic. I have my suspicions about this as I never saw the box while the h/s matches (

Here some components from the experimental time at DAG.
Both cases are NUPE and only head stamped with “RWS”.
The AP projectile with the steel tip is today in use by the Bundeswehr, the other on the case is a solid copper hollow point.

I am a buyer for all you have to sell in the $3-5 range. Do you have some ?

This is the drill round currenly issued in the UK. It is chromed brass, hollowed. No headstamp.

Regards
TonyE

CSAEOD - I misunderstood your question and didn’t realise you had posted a pic of a black tipped round. I’m not convinced that your’s is a ‘standard’ ball round as it has a noticeably rounded profile. It’s shape is very similar to the ‘Hard Frangible’ and the line where the black paint has worn away just beneath the tip on your round appears to coincide with the ring which can be seen on the frangible round. Just a thought…
Jim

The bullet is magnetic and has a flat tip. The tip is smaller than the one on the photo above of the RG ball.

Teak - I think that your round could very well be a sub-sonic loading.

Here is a picture of a loaded round and 2 different projectiles I have.

Here are pictures of the other rounds I have…

1997 dated ball rounds

Blanks. Most are dated 1997

Loose ball and AP projectiles

A couple of moly coated ball loads

Hollowpoint projectiles. Of the 3 loose projectiles, the size of the hollowpoint varies.

Three frangible and a (presumably) short range hollowpoint round.

Two ‘spoontip’ rounds

Different ball loadings. The 1st on the left is solid GM with a hollowpont

Dummies/training

AP loadings

The headstamps I have are:
RG 96 4.6 x 30
RG 97 4.6 x 30
RG 00 4.6 x 30
RG 03 4.6 x 30
RWS
DAG 4.6 x 30
DAG 04
4.6x30 DAG 04 G 1134
4.6x30 DAG 04 G 1135
G.F.L. 4.6 x 30

There are both brass and nickeled primers, a variety of primer crimp styles and annular seals.

What I have been puzzling over is why are there so many variations. With what must be a relatively small performance envelope, what hope could there be to achieve much more than being able to punch a small hole in a hard target? I’ve heard that the Canadian military and some police forces have tested these rounds and found that they were good at making a small hole in body armour, but not much more than that.

#5 from the left on your loose ball and AP photo looks like mine. Is this the one which you got at St. Louis ? If so it came from this same box.

Nope

A couple of your others in the AP photo look to have black tips as well. Do you know anything about them ? A very impressive collection of this it is.