4-letter codes on Belgian ammunition containers

Is anybody able to say what the 4-letter codes (top right corner) on Belgian ammunition containers are meaning?

To what I saw by now every item has it’s own code.
But for some reason it is not the NATO interchangeability code. Unless I confused or missed something.

Source internet.

Hi Alex, sorry for the deleted answer, I was editing my post and erased most the information.

It is a Belgian supply catalog designation like the Ammunition Identification Code (AIC) used in USA (TACAL, TAIFF, T3AGE, &c). The first two letters designate the caliber (PA = .30 Cal., PB = 7.62 mm, &c) and the following two other letters combined designate the loading (ball, tracer, &c) and packing configuration (clips, links, &c). In some cases, regardless of the cartridge model, manufacturer, quantity and country of origin, there is no change in the letter code.

I don’t know when it was implemented, but I have seen boxes having this code as old as 1952.

For better understanding, here is a compilation of some codes found in small arms calibers:

PAAG: .30 Ball on clips x700
PACG: .30 Ball x860
PAFG: .30 Tracer x860
PALG: .30 Ball+AP+Tracer linked x250
PAQU: .30 Blank x400
PAUU: .30 Blank linked x250

PBAG: 7.62 mm Ball on clips x250
PBBG: 7.62 mm Ball x250
PBEG: 7.62 mm Ball+Tracer linked x230/250
PBJU: 7.62 mm Blank linked x230/250/500

PDFG: .50 Ball+Tracer linked x100
PDGG: .50 API+Tracer linked x100
PDJU: .50 Blank linked x100
PDQG: .50 Tracer x100

PFAG: 9 mm Ball x1000/1500

PLAG: 5.56 mm Ball x900/2340
PLBU: 5.56 mm Blank x900
PLEU: 5.56 mm Blank linked x800
PLFG: 5.56 mm Ball on clips x1000
PLLU: 5.56 mm Blank on clips x780

SGBP: 21 mm TP-T x72

Regards,

Fede

3 Likes

Fede, thanks a lot!
It confirms what I thought. But why are these codes not NATO compliant?

Because there isn’t a NATO agreement on the way the ammunition is packaged or the package type used. Several countries of this organization have or used to have their own identification code system, and many of them are found only on paper, like those used by France, for example.

Fede, Thanks for the information on these Belgian codes. This Belgian system obviously continued (continues?) for years longer than the US “Ammunition Identification Code” system which was discontinued around 1954. But, for NATO, most of the member countries–esp. the original “western” members–use the “National Stock Number System” proposed by the US, as it is the old US Federal Stock Number system with the addition of the “National” two digit identifier immediately following the four digit stock class. Each of the Belgian boxes show that system.

You are right, but in order to group items you need an additional code, like the Belgian one, the old AIC or the current DODIC. Otherwise, you will end up with endless NSN items without knowing if they are interchangeable or not.

For example, you can have a 250 round box of FN made 7.62x51 blanks in links with NSN 1305-13-103-6854, and another one with 230 rounds with exactly the same description having NSN 1305-13-111-5134. Because both items are interchangeable for issue and use, you can group them under code PBJU.

Regards,

Fede