40 mm vietnam presentation rounds

I thought I would post a few pics of these 2 40MM presentation rounds. They are both engraved on the brass case.

One is engraved: " 500,000TH ROUND FIRED BY 4th BATTALION, 60th ARTILLERY AT COORDINATES BR 924785 REPUBLIC OF VIETNAM 13 DECEMBER 1967 PRESENTED TO LTC W.J. MONYHAN COMMANDING OFFICER 4th BATTALION 60th ARTILLERY"

The other is engraved:" PRESENTED TO LTC W.J. MONYHAN COMMANDING OFFICER 4th BATTALION, 60th ARTILLERY 12 SEPT 67 - 1 APR 68 RVN".

Sorry the pics are not that great.

Great souvenirs! Interesting projectiles. Looks like they were silver plated?

Ray

THAT IS A LOT OF AMMO. No wonder our taxes are so high. You will note that there is no estimate of casualities resulting from the 500,000 rounds. When I designed the ammo display for the National Air and Space Museum I wanted to add the number of rounds fired per casualty - official US GOVT. number estimate. They would not let me. I don’t recall the number but it was so high that you would not believe it.

I wonder how much it cost for a 40 MM round like this? Multiply that by 500,000 and divide my # of casualties. I am sure it is a BIG NUMBER!

I’m not sure how politics got into this but ask any Nam vet about tactics and he/she will tell you, “Put enough bullets in the air and Charlie is likely to walk into one.”

Good policy IMHO.

Ray

Makes sence to me!

Not politics-economics. Few realize how many rounds are expended to create 1 casualty. Just learned that the bomber command in Britain considered any bomb which hit within 4 miles of the intended target as a HIT. Now that Is politics.