.40 Taurus variations

.40 Taurus, Gold Dot: 155 grains & 180 grains

180 grains

155 grains

Some CCI Blazer Dummy Cartidges and Associated Boxes

I’ve not come across that one before. Any more info?

Hi Tony,

All information I have originated back in 1998 from a short conversation with a brazilian collector. He was a Taurus ex-employee and the original source of the first loaded rounds. He only said:

- Two prototype revolvers were made;
       - 500 cartridges were provided by CCI.         

I believe that about the same period another experimental cartridge was tried by Taurus: the 7 mm CCI Rimfire (headstamp "C  7mm CCI").

Measurements:
      C.L. = 29,25-29,34
      R.D. = 12,12-12,17	
      H.D. = 10,68-10,70
      N.D. = 10,68-10,70
      B.D. = 10,15-10,16

AACAM obtained about 40 specimens back in 1998, but there are probably more.

Looks like a 41 Special or a shortened 401 Herter’s powermag

[quote=“Fede”]Hi Tony,

All information I have originated back in 1998 from a short conversation with a brazilian collector. He was a Taurus ex-employee and the original source of the first loaded rounds. He only said:

- Two prototype revolvers were made;
       - 500 cartridges were provided by CCI.         

I believe that about the same period another experimental cartridge was tried by Taurus: the .17 CCI Rimfire (headstamp "C  7mm CCI").

Measurements:
      C.L. = 29,25-29,34
      R.D. = 12,12-12,17	
      H.D. = 10,68-10,70
      N.D. = 10,68-10,70
      B.D. = 10,15-10,16

AACAM obtained about 40 specimens back in 1998, but there are probably more.[/quote]

Fede, You must mean, 7mm Taurus Magnum rather than .17. M. Rea

You are right. Thanks M. Rea.

However, if the cartridge is headstamped “C 7mm CCI” what is the source of the “7 mm Taurus Magnum” designation?

[quote=“Fede”]You are right. Thanks M. Rea.

However, if the cartridge is headstamped “C 7mm CCI” what is the source of the “7 mm Taurus Magnum” designation?[/quote]
If memory serves me well, I think the round was developed for civilians in Brazil who could not have a centerfire caliber such as the .38 spl. etc. so this round was loaded nice and hot to duplicate the .38 spl. but, in a rimfire. I may have stated the magnum by mistake. M. Rea

While a joint venture between CC I and Taurus in 1993, the only correct name of the CCI 7mm is “7mm CCI.” That is the way they are headstamped, and the way the factory designated it. The Taurus name is not part of that caliber’s designation, unlike the .40 Taurus, which was manufactured in July 1993.

I am not positive of Brazilian Law, but know that in auto pistol, calibers abouve .32 Auto (7.65m/m Browning) at one time were prohibited. There was commercial manufacture of the .30 Mauser, since the caliber is less than, say, 9mm, or whatever the law required.

Both the 7mm CCI and the .40 Taurus were developed for self defense use and in an attempt to add to the viability of revolver production at the Taurus plant in Brazil.

Of the 7mm CCI, only 240 rounds were made. Most were plain brass cases, although a few were nickeled. A few hollow points were made as well, but most were FMJ bullets. A very few had just the “C” headstamp, without the caliber designation, but I don’t know how many.

For the .40 Taurus, only two revolvers were made for test - a medium frame and a large frame. Very little of the ammunition was made before the project was cancelled. It was probably cancelled because it was found that the market simply would not support the needed sales of either the .40 or the 7mm RF.