401 Winchester Self Loading

How rare is this ammo and is it valuable? I have some with the head stamp,W.R.A.Co. 401SL.
I think it may have been manufactured in 1914 but the box I can look at is in pretty bad shape, the others are still wrapped in brown paper so maybe they’re better.
By the way, High there as I’m a newbee!

First, welcome to the IAA Forum.

What type of bullets are loaded in these cartridges, Full Metal Jacket or Soft-Point? A description of the packaging/box would be interesting, or at least an indication of what is written on it.

Thanks for your post.

Cheers,
Lew

Lew they have a brass case with a 200 gr bullet. It is listed as a soft point but it has what looks like a copper spot in the center of the bullet point that I’m guessing to be 1/8" or so in diameter, then what looks like lead with an alloy jacket, maybe zinc or aluminum.
The disclaimer on the package is a little hard to read but I will do my best to decipher it for you; (These cartridges are manufactured and loaded by the Winchester Repeating Arms CO. The benefit of our great experience and careful supervision is given.They are especially adapted to,and made expressly for,the model of Winchester rifle designated on the label attached to this box. We guarantee these cartridges best suited for this style of arm,and the arm best suited to this make of cartridge.

CAUTION–This label,bearing our signature,forms a seal for this package,and when received intact and unbroken,insures the purchaser that the cartridges herein are of WINCHESTER make and not prepared or reloaded by outside parties.
Then you have Winchester Repeating Arms Co in curser.)
Then on another part of the box it says, For Winchester Model 10 .401 Self-Loading Rifle.
Then on the box ends it has a large W in red with 99 5-14 also in red,( I just kinda think the 5-14 might be the date?
It appears that these boxes might be made in two pieces but I’m not going to break an unopened box at this time just to find out.
I have 30 rounds that are loose and 140 still in the original paper wrap.

I think the bullets with a “copper spot” have an inverted copper cup in the nose. The Winchester Model 1910 was not terribly popular at the time, with only slightly more than 20,000 of the guns being made. So .401 WSL ammunition was never produced in anything near the quantities of the .351 WSL caliber used in the Winchester Model 1907 (which was highly popular in Law Enforcement circles, and was even used for awhile by the FBI). There is a good article about the Model 1910 and its ammunition in the 12th Edition (1990) of The Handloader’s Digest.

Pictures please. vintagesemiautorifle.proboards.com/index.cgi?