40MM clips

The attached pictures show (L-R/B-T) Mk1 , Mk3 , Mk4 for a 40MM. Anybody out there know a website with info on these? Is there a Mk2? And 5… ? Haven’t been able to locate anything on them. The one in the wrapper, dunked in cosmoline, is a Mk4. Just think, the junior Gunner’s Mate was more than likely tasked with cleaning these things up, prior to use. I can smell the diesel now.

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

P.S. That’s a .30-06

US made 40x311R Bofors 40L/60 clips

Yes,there is a mark 5,I have one in my collection.

Looks to be exactly the same as the mark 3 in your pic.

Kind regards,
Andy

Hey Andy,

You said collection. How many different ones are there?

Rick

Those are sweet RICK!

You will also find German,Hungarian,British,and other makers. The Soviet Union may have made some but more likely they got all they needed by lend lease.

Thanks to all for their comments. Still wondering if there is any written info on these. Inital web searches have proven fruitless. None of my books mention them. If anybody out there has some to get rid of, it’s one of my new areas of interest, but be kind with pricing. I ain’t THAT into 'em. And I’m all about trading. Got lots of stuff to trade.

Rick

I used to have a few 40 MM clips very similiar in design and function, but they were a constructed primarily out of a hard resin plastic with metal clips.

Here are a couple of pics of my clips.

Kind regards,
Andy

You have some fantastic 40 MM artifacts Andy! Is that the flash hidder in one of the pics? Just curious :-) For those of you with cable, on Friday (I think 10PM), the History Channel has a show called, “MAIL CALL”. It is hosted by Gunny from Full Metal Jacket and he will be firing so 40 MM guns from a airplane. The TV clip showed some nice shots of the ammo close up.

JEEZ! I quit already. All I’ve got are the pictured clips, a good+ inert round, and a couple of 40MM Saluting hulls. They are sawed off 40MM hulls, turned into a blackpowder blank. Headstamps make them official. Lots-O smoke, really loud bang. The provenance is: I fired them from the deck of the USS Springfield CLG-7, from a saluting cannon(now disallowed), while pulling in to Barcelona, Spain. I kept two hulls from that display of naval etiquette. That’d been late '73, early '74.

P.S. I’m not really quitting. SLICS will prove that.

A few more!

Kind regards,
Andy

Hey Jason. I’m thinkin’ Andy’s just rubbin’ it in. NICE STUFF!

Rick

(But I didn’t see not ONE saluting hull!)

[quote=“AndyD”]Here are a couple of pics of my clips.

Kind regards,
Andy

[/quote]

Those shown before were for the 40 L/60 gun (40x311R) the one here is for the 40 L/70 (40x365R) gun.

[quote=“slick rick”]Thanks to all for their comments. Still wondering if there is any written info on these. Inital web searches have proven fruitless. None of my books mention them. If anybody out there has some to get rid of, it’s one of my new areas of interest, but be kind with pricing. I ain’t THAT into 'em. And I’m all about trading. Got lots of stuff to trade.

Rick[/quote]

These clips are only shown in manuals to my knowledge. The book which I am publishing on the subject of clips and chargers later this year has over 1000 but only for rifle and carbine. There is at least one Japanese made (WW2) 40mm Bofors case and that implies that they could have made clips also BUT I have never heard of one.

I do have a nice 40mm Bofors fuze display made in S. Africa looking for a home.

WOW! Awesome 40 MM collection! Hard to pick a fav! I bet the 40 MM Fuze display rocks.

Jason