40mm Color Code?

I have what I believe to be a US Navy 40mm from 1942, but can’t ID the color code. Above the driving band the body is green for about 3 inches, followed by an inch yellow band and an inch red tip. Within the yellow band is stamped; MK27 1 3366 TEI-12-44
The round appears to be factory assembled but does not seem to have a charge of powder. Is it a dummy Tracer-Explosive-Incendiary?
Any ID help appreciated.

[quote=“Jon C.”]I have what I believe to be a US Navy 40mm from 1942, but can’t ID the color code. Above the driving band the body is green for about 3 inches, followed by an inch yellow band and an inch red tip. Within the yellow band is stamped; MK27 1 3366 TEI-12-44
The round appears to be factory assembled but does not seem to have a charge of powder. Is it a dummy Tracer-Explosive-Incendiary?
Any ID help appreciated.[/quote]

High Explosive Incendiary, Tracer Dark Ignition, Self Destruct (HEIT(DI)-SD)

Michel

Another bit of Gunners Mate trivia by Ray.

In it’s usual military minded tradition, the US Navy called the tracer a Self Destructing Tracer (T/SD) whilst the entire cartridge was often called Self Destroying. Therefore, the designation would be HE-I-T/SD (DI) or HE-I-TDI/SD

And just so all you land-lubbers know, Dark Ignition meant that the tracer did not ignite until the projectile was at least 100 yards from the muzzle. This eliminated the blinding effect on gunners at night and made the origin of fire harder to determine.

Ray