40x365r L70

Finally found a couple of empty L70 cases to finish the trio.

Now I just need to do a better job on 3d printed fuses.

2 Likes

The real fuzes can be very difficult to find. Here are a couple from the SGT York program.

With the paint scheme on the left one I wonder if this is a Swedish one (shell and fuze)?

We were working on the SGT York program at WSMR doing live fire evaluations when I got most of my pieces. They could have come from anybody though, as I think that they were just desperate to find something that might actually get them a hit.
Didn’t happen. They did everything short of crash the target aircraft on the gun, still couldn’t bring a target down.

Means the TAR was not as good those days?
I thought they had this sorted out long before?

They took pieces from several exceptional systems and slapped them together - and they didn’t work. They never figured it out, but kept spending money trying. After EOD support mission after mission we were strongly “chastised” when the Project personnel reported overhearing us referring to their dream child as “SGT Dork”.

2 Likes

Surprising to hear they were unable to synchronize all the components then.

If it’s any consolation, the Swedish equivalent - the VEAK 40, mounting dual L/70s in a box turret on top of a modified Strv 103 chassis - didn’t work well either, and got scrapped.

Ole

Didn’t the modern 3P version of the 40mm L70 do pretty good?

1 Like

Yes, the Lvkv 9040C (an anti-air version of the Strf 9040C IFV) works fine in its intended role (multirole against helicopters, slow moving aircraft, and ground targets), albeit one can argue that SPAAGs are outdated.
This is the Lvkv 9040C:
and here the VEAK 40:

The issues were mainly around problems getting proper radars suitable for the vehicle, in a timeframe required before manufacture. They ended up scrapping the idea. The Lvkv (luftvärnskanonvagn = air defence cannon vehicle) came later on.

Ole

1 Like

I heard a bit of a story, from different sources, and several years apart, that at one test the Sgt York decided that the exhust fan on an outhouse was a more viable target than was an aircraft…
It might have come from one of the guys working on the program, and this was his way of saying how good the DIVAD systen actually was.

1 Like

It was a well reported failure, it was also said that the contractor tried several times to get them to change the wording of the report. Exhaust fan, building fan, anything but outhouse/latrine.

Failures of this type are not uncommon during development. I used to have a sequence of photos (borrowed and not returned) from an early Copperhead live firing (laser guided 155mm with a 14.7lb shaped charge) which decided that it liked a distant camera blockhouse better than the laser-painted target. Other cameras tracked the projectile right to the blockhouse, and gave an excellent sequence showing the detonation and shaped charge “jet” exiting the far side and continuing onward. Fortunately it was an unmanned site.