.410 sabot slug?

Sorting through some newly arrived scrap ammo and found this partial box. Golden Bear 410 Sabot slugs in a brass plated steel case. Never seen before and it didn’t show up on a basic search so I thought I’d post it. I may need to break out the saw and see what one of these looks like.

Hi Jeff,

Here’s a similar one:

Paul

Paul, you say a similar one - is there no actual sabot? Is that slug at 97gr-ish?

I’ve lightened up the picture. It has a 2-piece sabot now more visible above the wadding. Sorry, I don’t know the weight of the slug.

hello
on the first picture the crimp is very “heavy” compared to the cutaway picture

Is there some mislabel here?
A 7,65 Parabellum (.307) projectile weighs 93 grains.
A .410 round ball weighs 6,7grams = 103grains.
To devise a hollow base projectile at this light weight is of no use at all unless it’s for very close combat.
Why make it a less effective projectile tha a plain round ball?

Unless the Russians has devious laws that has to be circumnavigated!

Take into consideration that slugs generally are designed to move the center of gravity forward to keep it in front of the center of aerodynamic drag. This is to achieve nose forward flight in the absence of spin stabilization.
The usual tool to achieve this are a hollow base or fitting some light (felt, plastic) cylindrical extension to the base of the slug (like Brenneke).

That looks like a standard Foster-style slug in front of their regular collapsible wad, not a Sabot slug. I had a couple boxes, fired them all.
I have a few boxes of the Sabot, but have not fired any.
It would appear that either they are only manufacturing the Sabot load, or perhaps not importing any other .410 slug.

Jack, they look very much like sabotted.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Image source: internet.

I would not call that a true Sabot because it is a “rifled” Foster slug, designed to compress as it goes through a choke.
I may be wrong, but I believe it is more like a sleeve so it can be fired in a .45/.410 combination chamber, and be able to engabe the rifling of a .45 caliber barrel.
Of course, that could be what the Russians consider a “Sabot” round, as oppsoed to the “Wasp-Waist” type Sabot slugs made in, or otherwise designed for the American market.