.410 Schientot shells

Does anyone have any .410 “Schientot” / Schientod sp.? shells which they might be able to measure the diameter close to the brass? The hulls are paper, and I was under the impression that they were virtually interchangeable with modern .410, but I just acquired a S&W Governor a few days ago and my specimen of .410 Schientot would only fit about 90% of the hull into the chamber.

I’m only curious because I wanted to make a more definitive list of all the obscure collector cartridges which will fit & function safely in a Governor revolver.

So far I have:

.45acp
.45acp +P
.45 Colt
.45 Colt +P (some loads)
.410 shells (2.50" 0r 2.00")
.45 S&W Schofield
.45 GAP
.450 SMC / .45 Super (depends on load)
.450 Autobond
.45 Colt Lehigh M.E. (proprietary load / long O.A.L.)
.450 revolver (.450 adams / corto) (blanks & shot only)
.45 auto shot (long paper shot hull)
.45 Remington-Thomposn (1923)
.45acp short
.45 Colt Government

Cartridges that chamber but should not, or will not fire in a Governor:

.460 Rowland (too powerful)
.45 Auto Rim (wrong rim)
.460 S&W (too powerful)
.454 Casull (too powerful)
.45 Winmag (too powerful)
.410 3.00" (too long)
.444 Marlin (too powerful / wrong rim)

The exact denomination is SCHEINTOD, not Schientot please!

PR

Stuka is right about the brand name.

I was under the impression that this brand solely refers to tear gas cartridges and pistols. Are you sure there is a shotgun shell bearing this name? The translation is “apparent death” in the sense that a person is assumed to be dead but in reality is not. I always took it for ehm… marketing language describing the effect of the tear gas products.

There is a word “scheintot” for “seemingly dead”, but the brand name is as Stuka wrote. In German tot=dead, Tod=death.

P.S. “Schein” is prononunced like the English “shine” and “tod” as well as “tot” more or less as in total: shine-tot.

I am afraid that both “Scheintot” and “Scheintod” are correct, but it seems that the former designation was only used in early products, like single shot pistols and cartridges by H. Burgsmüller & Sohne introduced in 1910. The Adolph Frank 1911 catalog shows both names.

Mine is not the variation with case print, however the headstamp is 410 at 6, 1.92" oal., 536" rim,.472 head & at orange paper / brass joint .455" the mouth is out-of-round but the topwad is black.

My understanding of these is that they were loaded with a black pepper type of mixture, to disarm rather than kill.

Thanks Pete, and others. I had heard that these were either a pepper mixture, or a tobacco dust mixture.