.416 Rigby

I was shown a Federal box of 20 rounds of .416 Rigby at a local gun shop. Price: $200. It is a large cartridge but not large enough to explain this exuberant price on the basis of component cost. So, why is the price so high?

Vlad

That’s only $10 per cartridge. Not really an exuberant price when you consider the cost of many of the other loudenboomers such as Nitro Express cartridges.

Some empty brass cases will cost $2 or more each, bullets $1 to $2 each, powder . . . you get the idea.

When you fill up the gas tank on your new Cadillac you don’t ask why gas is $3 do you? :) :)

Ray

Ray,
I hate to be a contrarian but in that shop most of new large calibre ammo (.30-06 and alike) is in $20-30 range per box of 20. Also, I fuel up in New Jersey. NJ=cheap gas.

Vlad

By loudenboomers I meant the really big cartridges. The big Weatherbys will normally go for close to $140 a box of 20, 450/400 Nitro for over $200 a box, the 475 #2 Nitro for $275 a box. Even the common belted magnums, loaded with custom bullets will cost close to $100.

How about a 700 NE at $35 EACH!

If a guy is spending $50,000 for a hunting trip to Africa he isn’t going to worry about a $200 box of ammunition.

Gas here is over $3 and everyone says we are getting off easy. I’m not sure I can afford to drive to NJ to save money. :) :)

Ray

The last time I bought a box of 416 Rigby (some 7-8 years ago) it was $120/box, with the general increase in ammo prices, $200 now wouldn’t surprise me.

It’s my understanding that the Rigby is a hard case to make, due to the 45^ shoulder angle, so the reject rate is high both in forming and oading (buckled shoulder during crimping) along with being a fairly low demand item.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Vlad

Gas here is over $3 and everyone says we are getting off easy. I’m not sure I can afford to drive to NJ to save money. :) :)

Ray[/quote]

Here in the UK we would call $3 for a US gallon of petrol a fairly NOMINAL price. Here “gasoline” and diesel fuel are both over

What? Last time I saw original H&H rounds for sale in that calibre they were ten times that much in the UK…

Tony

That is for a shooting round. A Square brand with a 1000 gr monolithic.

And I meant to correct my post. I typed the wrong number. They are $75 each, not $35. Box of 5 is $375.00 USD.

Originals of most of the cartridges I mentioned will fetch more than the prices I referenced.

Ray