.44-40/.44 WCF Age

I have a round of Kynoch .44-40 hstpd (12/6) "Kynoch/.44 W"
When did Kynoch stop marking .44-40 this way?

Anyone?

Could ask the same question abouth this round -:)

I can’t give you a date but it would have been later than you might have imagined.
The term .44 Win (actually the original and some might still say the correct name for the .44-40) endured a lot longer over this side of the Atlantic.

Kynoch stopped making the .44 Winchester in the mid sixties. I was still shooting it around 1967 in a friends Model 73.

The Eley case is probably from around the turn of the century. It should be no later than 1919 when Eley technically ceased to exist, becoming part of Explosive Trades Ltd, but the Eley headstamps were used for a time afterwards I believe.

John P-C - You are the Eley man.

regards
TonyE

[quote=“Vince Green”]
The term .44 Win (actually the original and some might still say the correct name for the .44-40) endured a lot longer over this side of the Atlantic.[/quote]

Splitting hairs & for what ever it is worth- Daniel Shuey in his epic second volume of W.R.A.Co. - Headstamped Cartridges and their Variations, lists .44 Winchester Center Fire, or .44 W.C.F as the M-1873 rifle’s first W.R.A.Co. headstamp (small primer).
The .44-40 headstamp was used for the Marlin Safety Rifle {M-1889 and 1894 Lever Action’s} starting in 1895

[quote=“TonyE”]Kynoch stopped making the .44 Winchester in the mid sixties. I was still shooting it around 1967 in a friends Model 73.

The Eley case is probably from around the turn of the century. It should be no later than 1919 when Eley technically ceased to exist, becoming part of Explosive Trades Ltd, but the Eley headstamps were used for a time afterwards I believe.

John P-C - You are the Eley man.

regards
TonyE[/quote]

I have fairly good evidence that Kynoch were listing it as .44-40 by 1957 but whether that carried through to the headstamp is anyone’s guess. Part of the reason is because the only rifles in common usage were Winchesters, the Marlins didn’t come over in any significant numbers until after Kynoch had folded.

Vince G

Kynoch was definitely showing the .44 Winchester as “.44-40” by 1957, as that is the way it is catalogued in the Eley-Kynoch Ammunition and Accessories catalogue for that year. In fact, the 1925 Eley & Kynoch Catalog showed it that way. Catalog showed it as the “.44-40 Winchester” cartridge.

The earliest Eley Catalog I have is circa 1910 (Price List No. 83), and it shows the cartridge as the “.44-40 Winchester” as well, so that designation was used quite early by the British.

Oddly, there seems to be six Kynoch .44 WCF headstamps known, and none show the caliber as “.44-40.” They are:

C KYNOCH F 44.
KYNOCH .44 CF
KYNOCH ,44 W
KYNOCH .44 W. (in addition to the extra dot, letters are bigger)
KYNOCH 44.W. (Letters are smaller and dots different positions)
KYNOCH 44.W.L.

Eley used six headstamps also:

.ELEY.WINCHESTER
.ELEY. 44.W
.ELEY. 44 w (The dots are more like short dashes)
ELEY .44 w (Very small headstamp letters)
.ELEY. 44W (Dots are more like circular dots)
.ELEY’S. .44 W (the dot before the “44” is at the top of the number, not the bottom).

Headstamp list reference: Catalog of Victor v.B. Engel

Unfortunately, I have not enough Eley or Kynoch Catalogues to verify “first and last” production years for either firm.