.44-40 identification

I had this cartridge without headstamp and I try to identify when or who product it. After looking at different cartridges of 44-40, it seems that this kind of primer was used by American company like UMC or winchester at the turn of the 18th century to the late 1930th. Is somebody agree with my things or can correct me?
Laurent

Would Belgian be a possibility? any cartridge with no headstamp found here in Britain, my first thought is always Belgium. The mail order outfitters that supplied goods throughout the British Empire bought both guns and ammo from Belgian manufacturers in large quantities.

.44-40 was a relatively popular calibre for a time over here because Winchester imported and distributed the rifles themselves. Known in Britain as .44 Win.

That smaller primer is usually associated with the Marlin gun, where it is often called the .44-40 (on the headstamp) and not the Winchester parent name of .44 W.C.F.
However the round appears to me, to be by Winchester, probably for the Marlin rifle market

I think WRA introduced the .44-40 with the small no. 1 copper primer. On Guy Hildebrand’s web site in his monthly picture feature a box of early WRA ctgs marked as being for the 1873 Winchester depicts cartridges like the one pictured here. Jack

Way back in the days when I was really “into” Indian Wars history, my friend Hank Weibert and I found 14 fired 44 WCF cases at different Indian positions at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. They were exactly like the one shown here, as I remember them. Firing pin marks indicate they were fired in a Winchester M73, so there was at least one Indian so armed.

One case was found with a 44 WCF WRA Co headstamp. We could never saisfy ourselves that this single case was a battlefield relic, as opposed to a more recent intrusion by a hunter, but it was found next to one of the nhs cases which makes it’s battlefield association all the more interesting.

44 WCF cases from the battlefield are rare and it was always a thrill finding one. Of course, we could not metal-detect inside the Park boundaries so they may have been much more common than the few we found.

And that’s your history lesson for today.

Thank you all for your replies,so it seems that this not headstamped bullet was an old american’s made. That’s what I’m looking for!
Laurent