44-40 questions

Greetings folks, someone may be able to help with these questions

1. a 44 extra long shot round with headstamp, REM-UMC 44 XL , U on copper primer, there is a Black line about midway around the Red Sabot, any reason for this ?

2. UMC rounds with out the dots, UMC 44 WCF standard looking round, flat nose lead bullet, small copper primer , same as U.M.C. rounds with the dots, why no dots ? .

3. I have 2 different Kynoch rounds both headstamped KYNOCH .44 W one has a flat nose GM jacketed bullet a case cannelure and a ICI primer, the other has a CN flat nose bullet , and 4 dot bullet crimps , any reason for this ?, was the CN bulleted round an earlier production and then a change to GM with the cannelure, or is it just a fashion statement ?.

4. and my last question is with 2, 5 in 1 rounds, both headstamped REM-UMC 5-in-1 both with copper primers and Red wads seated at the same depth and case cannelures, why does one have ,another knurled cannelure ,half way between the rim and the other cannelure and 6 heavy dot primer crimps. thanks Randy

Randy…I can answer question 2…about 1905, UMC began leaving the periods off when new headstamp bunters were made…cost savings, I imagine. Some cartridges of “small” usage, where bunters did not wear out quickly, will have the periods all the way to the Remington and UMC merger in 1911…and sometimes beyond…

Randy - the Kynoch .44-40’s. Bullet material was changed from cupro-nickel to gilding metal in 1951. The case cannelure was added in 1928 to signify a smokeless powder load - and black-powder loads with metal bullets had the the cases stab-crimped.

To your ? about the 5-in-1’s. Often Stembridge and other movie blank makers bought new primed or un-primed brass from various makers and at verious times, so one lot of brass might have had a cannelure and perhaps the next lot was made without a cannelure. You will also find at least six loads A red topwad notes a smoke load and a yellow noting a flash load. Both of these were then loaded to full, half and quarter strenght & the topwad will be so marked. The REM-UMC were early and so this full smoke load wasn’t marked.
As to the primer stakes I’d GUESS these might have been used in a possably re-chambered self-loading weapon and they had feed or ejection problems with an un-staked primer. Again this is just a semi-educated guess.

As to your 1st ? I think the black line or color of the sabot was a code to note the shot size. Lot’s of colors (white red, pink, green, blue, yellow, gold) were used by the many makers of this load.

Much appreciate the info, thanks, Randy

I have been kindly informed by Mora Rea that the black stripe denotes a smokeless powder loading, not shot size & I’m sure he is correct. Thanks Rea

Thanks Pete and Rea, Randy