.44 Henry Centerfire

Were the .44 Henry Centerfire rounds made by Winchester or U.M.C?

Ron, Winchester in the U.S. and S.F.M. in France ( and maybe others?)
Hope this helps. M. Rea

Thanks. I knew that S.F.M. had made .44 Henry Flat Rimfire, but did not know they also made the centerfire version.

SFM and ELEY produced a cartridge shown in their catalogues and their boards as .44 Brazilian Nagant (or .44 Henry CF). In the SFM Catalogue November 1909 the cartridge is shown as: "Winchester Mod.1866 Cal.44 transform

The Brazilian “connection” squares with this caliber. The only rifle (actually, a carbine) that I ever had my hands on in this caliber was an 1866 Winchester Carbine that went through our store. It had the name and address of a Brazilian seller stamped on the barrel. I wish I had thought at the time to record the serial number and the name of the seller - very stupid of me! All I remember about the serial number was that it was very high and the gun was made after I would have guessed, at the time, that they would have made the Model 66 - in the 1880s as I recall. I didn’t maintain the library then that I do now, either on ammunition or guns. It was a nice gun, with a replaced buttstock - perfectly done to original contours, undoubtedly in Brazil as it looked almost as old as the gun. Only way to tell it was a replacement is wnen you opened the butt trap, there was no hole in the wood for the cleaning rod.

Would this mean an SFM round I’d identified as a .44 Brazilian Nagant was actually a .44 Henry CF ??? Ouch!

[quote=“Iconoclast”]Would this mean an SFM round I’d identified as a .44 Brazilian Nagant was actually a .44 Henry CF ??? Ouch!

.[/quote]

Depends on the headstamp…to make it more complicated.
The ones, with the SFM GG marks, are by the Catalogue Henry CF (but also used in the .44 Brazilian Nagant Revolver)…the ones with “GG 93” - means 93 as a year- , headstamps, are definitivly ONLY for the Rifles. They have a slightly heavier powderload, as the others…

GG means the interwined reversed GG-letters

The definitifly ammo ONLY for the Revolver, which I knew of, are made by CBC and have the headstamp: CBC - 440 N-

But all of this is Theorie…as this small differences never where obeyed by the Users in South-America…If it fits the gun…it was used…

All my own GG 93 I have never found in Europe (only the SFM GG ones). The dated ones I always got from Brazil via Argentine…

Forensic

Thanks, Forensic.

Bonjour,

Here two photographs of my french .44 Henry CF (or .44 Bazilian Nagant).

From left to right.

GG 93
S.F.M * GG * (flat base)
S.F.M * GG * (round base)
no hstp (Gaupillat primer)
GAUPILLAT PARIS (Gaupillat primer)

chassepot

Believe it or not, the first .44 Winchester CF cartridges were made in Brazil in 1876 with a COILED CASE for the Winchester Model 1866 carbines modified in the F

So in other words the .440 Nagant center fire is an actual .44 Henry center fire, if it has the entwined GG. vic

To my knowledge, the only rounds produced only for a revolver use (remember, same bullet, same load, not different in any sense from a carbine round, just oriented fro a revolver use) were the rounds wich bear the headstamp ELEY . .44 NAGANT ., ELEY . .44 NAGENT . (bunter mistake), F.N.C.M. - 440 N - and C.B.C. - 440 N -. I’m not sure if Kynoch produced this round, their drawning shows an Eley headstamp.

Some collectors claim or simply believe that the GG 93 is a carbine round and that the SFM * GG * is a revolver round, but I have not seen any real proof of this.

“.44 Winchester & Nagant Center Fire” is not a bad name at all, don’t you think so?

Federico Graziano

Fede-I think everyone should stick with “.44 Henry/Nagant” if they want to add the word “Nagant.” There is only one “.44 Winchester,” the great .44-40 round! (Now don’t everyone get excited - I didn’t say that Winchester only made one .44 caliber case type).