44 Henry -- Fired or un-fired?

I’ve just won some new cartridges for my new interest in Civil War cartridges. This was listed as a 44 Henry “unfired” but there’s a definite strike dimple in the center of the base. It still appears to be unfired?? I’m guessing that someone tried to shoot it in a centerfire revolver but the charge was in the rim so it didn’t go off? Any opinions?

[quote=“Rogereh”]I’ve just won some new cartridges for my new interest in Civil War cartridges. This was listed as a 44 Henry “unfired” but there’s a definite strike dimple in the center of the base. It still appears to be unfired?? I’m guessing that someone tried to shoot it in a centerfire revolver but the charge was in the rim so it didn’t go off? Any opinions?

[/quote]

That is exactly what happened ! M. Rea

I guess since they listed it as “unfired” and not “struck but unfired” they had it technically listed correctly so I would have no grounds for complaining about it. Caveat emptor.

The firing pin strike did, however, obliterate the “H” headstamp. Jack

Do all 44 Henry’s have an H headstamp? Were there other manufacturers besides Henry? I’m just starting in this area of collecting but I thought I saw some without any headstamp?

I found this on another site.

No, all .44 Henry cartridges don’t have a headstamp, but most of those made by Winchester do, particularly those having the long case (which this one is, I believe) and the flat-nosed bullet with the knurled cannelure on the bullet just forward of the case mouth. There are, as shown in your pic, even Winchester-made rounds without headstamp, but they are early and pretty uncommon. If you think you can see parts of the serifed H as shown around the edges of the firing pin dent it probably was a headstamped Winchester product. From the pic I almost think I can make out a D, but I’m not sure if the Dominion Cartridge Co. used bullets similar to Winchester. Jack

Roger–The .44 Henry comes in short case, long case, pointed bullet & flat bullet. Headstamps are H (raised & impressed), US, U (raised and impressed), P, and Fancy H (Hirtenberger, Austria), D, and a Chinese character. Several companies made unheadstamped rounds. There may be others I can’t think of off the top of my head.

Look what I found with my magnifying glass…

Guess this makes it a Dominion. Once you know it’s there you can easily see it without magnification.

Roger: That’s good news & the headstamp isn’t defaced at all but surrounds the f.p. dent very neatly. Jack

Yeah but I still wish that the FP dent wasn’t there. I wouldn’t have bid on it if they had shown the base. They only had a side view of it.

I would say its probably marginally more interesting for the strike even though without a history its probably less valuable. We are now left to wonder who tried to fire it and when. Wouldn’t it be nice if these old cartridges could tell us?