.44 Henry rasied-H exploder with .22 nose

I traded for this recently and it is a typical raised-H .44 Henry, except that it has a rasied-H .22 inserted into the nose. There is apparently some history to these rds, and I am wondering if there is a way to tell if it is “original”, or if anyone could share the overall grain-weight of a known specimen for me to compare? I know these weren’t factory original per-se, but that they were more along the lines of a Hoxie-bullet load which was commercial ammunition with a modified bullet done later on. Are these very rare?

Matt, I’m not sure if there is a way to authenticate an original Mead’s patent explosive cartridge. They were made from modified loaded cartridges and it seems that they were only available through John P. Moore’s Sons for a few years (1873-75). However, this method of making an explosive bullet was popularized far beyond this date, which means that there would be legitimate cartridges out there that have no relation at all with Mead or Moore.

Regarding this specific cartridge, I have never seen a .44 Henry Pointed with this explosive bullet. This specimen lacks the typical mouth crimp present in New Haven made cartridges having this headstamp, so it looks like it was loaded using a new primed empty case. A Winchester made .22 Short blank with this headstamp would be correct for this timeframe.

You can find more info in this earlier thread: iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopi … =8&t=11705

I would think this would have been a risky round to load in a tubular feed rifle such as the Henry. There have been recent incidents of rounds detonating in the mag tubes of Henry reproductions (Cowboy shooters) when the spring loaded follower was accidentally released slamming down on a round in the partially loaded tube. This occurred with modern center fire. The rimfire .22 in the nose of the bullet I should think would be very easy to set off in a similar circumstance in the past.
Back in the early 60’s I was involved in the N-S SA CW re-enact. Several older shooters were placing .22 black powder blanks in the nose of .58 caliber minie` balls. The practice was stopped when one of the .22 blanks fired while loading the ball and the charge ignited injuring the shooter.