44 Remignton Magnum necked down

I got these rounds a few years ago in Arizona at the shop of a gunsmith making the revolvers and the ctges going with (Flagstaff if I remember well).

One of my friend told me they were Bain and Devis ctges.
I checked on internet and they are located in California not in Arizona.

I am not sure in fact if I picked up the 3 in the Arizona gunshop, perhaps only 2 !!
From left to right :
necked down to 8.95 mm
necked down to 9.05 mm
necked down to 10.25 mm

1. What are these rounds ?
  2. Are they scarce ? And if yes, value please.
    Thanks
    jp

NOTE: 1st post has been edited to reflect the change below.

The first one is 8.95 mm diameter.
sorry
jp

JP

You did not give the headstamps or case length but I’ll assume they are based on the 44 Magnum, even though the center one looks like it may be a 41 Magnum.

You have three wildcats that are typical of many that were designed and tried back in the 1950s and 1960s when 41 and 44 brass first became available. They went by many names. “Davis” and “Bain & Davis” being the two most common. The name (or names) of the designer is usually preceeded by the caliber, such as 357/44 Davis.

The idea was to produce a high-velocity revolver cartridge but things didn’t always work out as planned because bottle neck cases tend to freeze a revolver cylinder with anything approaching maximum loads.

Value?? The same as any other wildcat cartridge. And who knows what that is?? They are not particularly uncommon or rare. (If wildcat cartridges were valuable I would not be sitting here typing responses on the Forum. I’d be out on my yacht.)

Similar wildcats were tried with most other straight revolver cases, such as the 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 44 Special, 45 Colt, and others including the 30 Carbine, 45ACP, and cut-off 30-30, 30-06, and 308W. Calibers ranged from 22 all the way up to the maximum that the particular case would accomodate. Those that are used in single-shot or semi-auto pistols work fairly well and there are several factory cartridges that are based on them.

Ray

JP

For some reason, I cannot edit my own post above, so I want to add :

If you were to pull the bullets from those cartridges I would almost bet that they would measure .357 and .410.

Ray…if you had a yacht, I bet it would be gray with big white numbers and letters on the bow and a 5" 54 somewhere handy !! Did you get my e-mail concerning 30 Krag Hollifield Dotter ?..Randy

Randy

John Wayne had a converted WWII mine sweeper that was his yacht. He named it the WILD GOOSE. He used to come up to Alaska every couple of years to fish. When we would see it anchored in the harbor we’d go into town and walk around the streets hoping to get a glimpse of the Duke. We never did.

I can’t say that I got the e-mail about the Dotter. It doesn’t ring a bell. My e-mail has so many problems and I’m like a turtle on it’s back when it comes to fixing stuff like that. I get error messages that I swear are written in Greek, attachements that won’t open, In-Box messages that are blank. Stuff like that. Without my grandkids to fix my PC and cell-phone I’m lost.

Ray

I agree that the first cartridge is probably the .357/44 Bain & Davis. The other two may be part of the GNR series from Gary Reeder.

Daniel

You are probably right. If I had to guess, I’d say that they are, left to right, the 357/44 Bain & Davis (44 Mag case), 356 GNR (41 Magnum case), and 41 GNR (44 Magnum case).

I don’t like to make guesses, especially when I don’t have the cartridge in my grubby little hands, but sometimes that’s all you have when trying to ID wildcats. And I’m not sure why Gary would be selling the Bain & Davis cartridge?

JP, can you confirm the headstamp of the middle cartridge?

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Daniel

You are probably right. If I had to guess, I’d say that they are, left to right, the 357/44 Bain & Davis (44 Mag case), 356 GNR (41 Magnum case), and 41 GNR (44 Magnum case).

I don’t like to make guesses, especially when I don’t have the cartridge in my grubby little hands, but sometimes that’s all you have when trying to ID wildcats. And I’m not sure why Gary would be selling the Bain & Davis cartridge?

Ray[/quote]
Hi Ray
you are right the hstp of the middle one is 41 Mag and not 44 Mag
and Garry Reeder is the name of the gunsmith I met.
As I told you I was sure of taking 2 of them in the shop of Flagstaff but not the 3. I should have taking the third one (357/44 Davis) in california.

GNR is the abbrevation fot what ?

Thanks
JP

JP

GNR is for Gary N. Reeder. I’m not sure what his middle name is.

The cartridge on the left is a 357/44 Bain & Davis. The 357/44 Davis (or 44/357 Davis) is a different wildcat, with a different shoulder angle. The 357/44 Davis didn’t work too well in revolvers because of the sharp shoulder. The Bain & Davis was a little better.

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Daniel

Ray[/quote]
Hi Ray
you are right the hstp of the middle one is 41 Mag and not 44 Mag
and Garry Reeder is the name of the gunsmith I met.
As I told you I was sure of taking 2 of them in the shop of Flagstaff but not the 3. I should have taking the third one (357/44 Davis) in california.

GNR is the abbrevation fot what ?

Thanks
JP

GNR = Gary N. Reeder

Ok thanks to everybody.
Anc can I know , because these rounds have be identified, a value in dollars for each of them.
Thanks
jp

JP

Good question. See my post above regarding the value of wildcat cartridges.

Since GNR is still in business I would assume that his cartridges are worth whatever he charges for them.

As to the 357/44 Bain & Davis, I would not pay more than a couple of bucks for one. But others may pay a lot more. On an auction site, who knows what the limit would be?

Ray