.44 special "Junkyard Dog" - Zambone / Grennell

Has anybody heard of the .44spl “Junkyard Dog”? I saw this posted by somebody in the Cast Boolits forum. Apparently they are some sort of Joe Zambone / Dean Grennell contraption meant to be a non-lethal stinger rd to stun a guard dog with, if I am reading the below quote correctly?, from Cast Boolits forum:

[quote]Joe Zambone’s “junkyard dog” using a 44 cal Speer shot capsule with brass wire instead of shot and Dean Grennell’s personal mix of heavy lead swaging vent extrusion wire instead of clipped-off lighter pieces of brass braising wire.
Anti personnel round designed for keeping you from being mauled by security dog in junkyards, in case someone forgot to put fido away. Was used in the 44 special “bulldog” type short barreled revolvers for use from 1-10 yards to quickly stop an animal intent on making you walk with a cane for the rest of your life (provided you kept your life). From the days when Security for a parts yard wasn’t by alarm and the motion detector had some bite.[/quote]

I thought the “junkyard dog” was a derisory nickname for the Charter Arms Bulldog .44 revolver. A reference to its heavy recoil / small grip from a 50s song which contained the line “…meaner than a junkyard dog” ( Bad, bad Leroy Brown)

It probably was also referred to that, but there is a cartridge-specific relation to the name as well. Some sort of Joe Zambone (Magsafe) and Dean Grennell creation.

DK, if you’re signed up on GlockTalk, contact ULVER. He claims to have worked closely with Zambone testing his ammo. He may have an answer for you.

I think one will find that “junkyard dog” has meanings and connotations outside of anything to do with firearms, as well.

John M.

Yeah, the term is probably also a mixed drink, a wrestling move, and a narcotics cocktail among other things. I’m trying to contact Ulver on Glocktalk to get some more info about the load, as well as the guy from Cast Boolits who posted the above info about it.

Around here, if you say a guy’s a “junkyard dog” you mean he is mean as hell.

John M.

Joe Zambone wrote about these in the March/April 1982 issue of American Handgunner. They were meant to be short range, low penetration loads for home defense. However, the test bed was a .44 Magnum Virginia Dragoon. Zambone tested a variety of shot loads and improvised flechette made from steel safety wire and brass brazing wire. One of the photos showed a uncooked chicken that he had shot with his flechette load. The target backer looked like someone had stabbed it repeatedly with a knife.

The issue has another article concerning testing of Hornady’s FMJ-TC projectiles that were based on Dale Davis and John Robbins’ design for the USAF.