445 Murphy Product a new wildcat?

A friend bought a rifle from cabelas that was an Winchester model 1886 and it had been rebarreled to a cartridge that was mearly a 45-70 necked down to 44 caliber making a slightly bottlenecked cartridge. It came with a set of Hornaday dies with the the label “445 MP” I did an internet search and got one hit about a man that had done this wildcat in a contender and that the “MP” stood for Murphy Product. I have a round in my collection now but an totally unfamiliar with the man or cartridge. Anyone care to share some imfo?

Hey 30-30

No response, huh? I have a feeling that the 445 MP is a one-of-a-kind wildcat and only Mr Murphy can tell you about it. A set of marked dies doesn’t really mean anything since you can have them made by any one of several die-makers if you’re willing to pay the cost.

Necking the 45-70 case to smaller calibers is not unusual. I’ve done it myself. I would not be surprised if there are other 445 MP cartridges out there, but with other names.

Ray

Hi 30-30,

could you please post a picture from yor round?

THX,
Mhistory

Mhistory I will post a photo tomarrow, or to be truthful, the wife will post a photo. It take more talent to post photo’s than this old well drillers has. Murphy Product , whoever he was, also did another cartrige for contenders that was a 454 Casull necked down to .429". He did enough of these to get reloading imformation out into the public, as I have a friend who has found it in publication. Anyone have one of these to post a photo of?

Mhistory enclosed is the photo you requested. One of the photos is standing next to a 45-70 for scale purposes. I am not sure why someone would go to all the expense for this wildcat cartridge as I see it has no advantage over it’s parent cartridge.

Ahhhh, hmmmm, errrrr. Spoken like a true non-wildcatter. ;) ;)

There may have been a reason for Mr Murphy’s creation. It would allow him to shoot a 44 caliber cartridge, with ballistics similar to a 444 Marlin, in an 1886 Winchester, without having to alter the bolt.

Not a good reason, but a reason none-the-less.

Ray

thx a lot for the pics.

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]
There may have been a reason for Mr Murphy’s creation. It would allow him to shoot a 44 caliber cartridge, with ballistics similar to a 444 Marlin, in an 1886 Winchester, without having to alter the bolt.
Ray[/quote]

So he keeps the bolt but discards the original barrel and has to fit a new, custom-made one…

I’m just making a SWAG at the reason behind the cartridge. If he had an 1886 with a 45-70 bolt face and a shot out barrel, and wanted to rebarrel to something other than a 45-70 that would be one way to go.

JMHO

Ray

Ray that does make some sense however I was always under the delusion that this man had way too much money and time on his hands.

Most wildcatters have way too much time on their hands. Add way too much money and the sky’s the limit. ;) ;)

Ray

[quote=“Ray Meketa”]Most wildcatters have way too much time on their hands. Add way too much money and the sky’s the limit. ;) ;)

Ray[/quote]

:)

Hi 30-30remchester, found one articel too - same as yours?

"Bangor Daily News Bangor, ME
Article: Murphy stalks deer with handgun Glenburn man shoots 215-pound, 8-…
Bangor Daily News Bangor, ME ; December 24, 2005 ; TERRY FARREN; OF THE NEWS STAFF; 700+ words …ideas about hunting always crowding his mind. In 1991 Murphy grabbed hold of one of those thoughts and built on it. The end result was the 445 MP (Murphy Production) Wildcat cartridge. He took a .45-70 case and…Contender. “I wanted something with my name on it,” said Murphy, and he felt this was it. It … "

Did anyone have the full article? --> highbeam.com/doc/1P2-11796383.html

Mhistory