45-70 blanks

gentlemen,
Can anyone tell me about these blanks? Regarding scarcity, use, HS markings?
I hope the picture link works, if not I’ll try again.
The 45-55-405 is for comparison.

left - no HS, rifle length, recessed plug looks like wax

middle - under a 10x loop, HS appears to be 5-95-P-M. Plug looks like balsa.

right - HS 8-87-S-A, plug missing, case similar to middle except primer.

thanks much, lee

The two with headstamps you questioned are originally 11mm Spanish cases, perhaps cut down? I’m not sure if they would chamber in a 45-70 ? Perhaps measure the rim, head, mouth & length to see if they have somehow been modified to fit?

No idea of why a piece of wood would be fitted that close to the mouth.

Perhaps someone else knows?

edited one time to add the one with the rounded unheadstamped head on the left looks to be a shot load.

the one on the left looks like the Gatling full length blank, everyone I have has a headstamp. The full length would feed better.

having a headstamp causes it to feed better?

Of course, the headstamp has nothing to do with the feeding in the Gatling guns. It is the shape of the extended neck to simulate a bullet that helps it feed properly in the Accles magazine.

Vic teaches Science, not English. I think it’s called a metaphor? ;) ;)

The “middle” one is most likely headstamped P M H 95, indicating the Spanish government facility in Havana. Jack

Thank you all for your replies and help. I noticed the sharp edges of the 2 right hand ctgs, not realizing they were cut down. Makes perfect sense. I’ll try to get some measurements - don’t really want to try chambering them in one of my TDs for fear of getting stuck.
Is there a guess on the date of the gatling blank?
lee

The .45 blank is a commercial loading for the Gatling Model 1883 with Accles Patent drum feed. This unheadstamped case is attributed to E. Remington & Sons and would be pre-1896.

The two on the right are not original blanks but Spanish 11 mm Remington Reformado Model 1871-89 cases with pulled bullets; one was made by Pirotecnia Militar de Sevilla (S A 8 87) and the other by Pirotecnia Militar de La Habana, Cuba (P M H 95).