.45-70 Gov

I think it says “F 97 6” or “F 97 9”. It is a straight rimmed about 11.5x53 round. What is it?

Appears to be a tinned .45-70
F=Frankford Arsenal
97=1897 yr. of mfg.
9=9th mo, Sept.

Thanks, Frank,
You are right. I shouldn’t ID ammo late at night, I was tired and couldn’t think straight.

No coments as to being late at night, That reads as a 6 not a 9.

Vlad

If the cartridge is loaded measure the OAL. The rifle round will measure 2.8" and the carbine 2.44". The rifle is more correctly a 45-70-500 and the carbine is 45-55-405.

Ray

Thanks,Ray,
It is 2.8" so it is rifle load. Mystery solved. I have only one of these Springfields and I don’t shoot it (ever) so I know little about it. May one shoot both 405 and 500 grain bullets from the rifle? I assume “yes”. Is reverse true for carbine (which I don’t possess)?

Vlad

Chamber is the same in both Rifle & Carbine so they can be fired in either. But, the recoil of rifle rounds in a carbine is not something for sissies.

Ray

Vlad–I have never fired any of the early black powder loads in a .45-70 but have shot hundreds of modern smokeless loads in a modern made Marlin Lever-Action .45-70. I have shot both 405gr. and 500gr. loads. The 405’s are not bad but the 500’s will definently wake you up. The gun is my son’s who does lots of reloading for this caliber. He has some “Hot” loads he made up for Grizzly Bear in Alaska. My son is almost 6 feet tall and weighs in at about 400lbs. These loads will rock him back onto one foot. He claims they are within 10% of the power of a .458 Win. Mag. Personally, after seeing his brused shoulder after firing 5 rounds one day, I have politly passed at the opertunity of shooting this load.