45-70 production by country

The 45-70 cartridge was the official military of the US from 1877 to 1898 manufactured by Frankfort Arsenal, United States Cartridge Co, Union Metallic Cartridge Co., Winchester, and E. Remington and more recently heads tamped by Peters, Remington, Lyman, Hornady, Federal, and others.

Surplus Springfield rifles and Gatling guns were used around the world so I wonder about cartridge production. 45-70 cartridges were manufactured in various countries but which ones especially before 1900?
I have head stamped rounds from Eley and Kynoch of England, George Roth of Austria, SFM of France, China contract by Winchester and China, Dominion of Canada,
How about Mexico, Spain, Russia, Czech, Argentina, middle East, or Germany??
Gary

Looking to see if I had a Roth example but don’t, I found this turned brass SPANZ example. South Pacific Australian New Zealand Co. (I think)
DSCN4019

I have this one but didn’t temember what it stood for. Why would they make this round?
Who can tell more about this company?

If it is like pistol-caliber Winchester rifles, this may have been for 1886 Winchesters, and perhaps Marlin counterparts, in this caliber. Lever-Action Winchesters were extremely popular in Australia in the late 19th and early 20th Century, I believe. More likely to be for rifles like that than for trap-door Springfields, or even Sharps and Single-Shot contemporaries I would think. Of course, I could be completely wrong. Nice headstamp regardless.

John Moss

Thanks John and Pete.
On another note I used the term “official military” cartridge from 1877 to 1898. The Krag was adopted by the military in 1892 and the Springfield rifle stopped production and the Krag rifle production began. However the 45/70 was the “standard” military rifle cartridge until Krags replaced the Springfield in use and the cartridge was loaded up to 1898 by Frankfort Arsenal although some limited production may have followed that date The beginning date is also probably mis-stated because the 45/70 saw military use back to 1873. Frankfort Arsenal dated rounds began in 1877 to 1898. The final year included smokeless loads.
Anyway I still wonder what all countries loaded the 45/70?
Gary

SPANZ is South Pacific Armoury New Zealand. Made mid 1970’s with the headstamp around the base and a bullet step in the neck. Later ones headstamped in a line and no bullet step.
I shot these in .450 MH but also made in Snider and some other metric calibres.
I had not seen the .45-70 case till now. All lathe turned brass cases.

I checked my Snider SPANZ cases and both headstamp styles are with and without the bullet seating step. I now think the no step was first then the step was added on later production.

Great information. Thank you

Hi Gary,

In Germany, both DMW -since the Lorenz era- (number 307) and Egestorff (number 11453) listed this caliber as “Hotchkiss”.

In Brazil, CBC made line throwning blanks for the navy. Below you can see the special headstamp on a fired case:

Regards,

Fede

Good to know. Thanks for your time.
Gary

I can also add that Lyman cases for the Centennial rifle were made by Federal.