45 ACP & 9MM Mystery rounds?

I was digging in box of ammo a friend gave me years ago and can not ID these rounds,any clue ? THANK YOU !

The .45 on the left with the plastic sabot looks like some kind of “fragment” test round.
The others…???

[quote=“Jon C.”]The .45 on the left with the plastic sabot looks like some kind of “fragment” test round.
The others…???[/quote]

Hmmm…it looks likee a fragment kind of a knife looking thing,very shap with a sharp double edge also.

The round on the left is legitimate, and not a fragment test round. It was made as an anti-personnel round and was dubbed the “Scimitar” cartridge. It was developed by a U.S. Government Agency, but to my knowledge went no where, like most of these silly “wonder bullets.” It is exactly what it looks like, by the way, a razor-blade like “knife” in a plastic sabot.

While I am not 100% positive, the second from the left appears to be a form of the Extreme Shock company’s “Fang Face” round. I have not seen it loaded in a nickel case before, but they have, in the past, used whatever cases were available. Currently, in some calibers anyway, they have their own headstamp. I cannot identify the others from the picture posted. These super-bullet rounds are legion these days, with everyone who has a pencil and a piece of paper designing wonder bullets advertised to be just short of a nuclear device in stopping power. When most are separated from the advertising hype and subjected to real wound ballistics tests, they are found wanting, some in the extreme, others no better, but not necessarily inferior to FMJ loads for self-defense.

I think I have seen one like that on the far right before. I am not sure whether or not it was produced by a company, but the one I saw was nothing more than a FMJ bullet with the tip cut off and a slot milled into the bullet. Of course, the alteration of available bullets into another form by small custom ammo manufacturers is not unknown, or even unusual. The original Magsafe bullets made by Joe Zambone were all mostly altered from existing projectiles. Some look as if they were altered in the original cartridges, without even dismantling them, but I am not sure of that. Joe freely admitted that he altered existing bullets, but didn’t supply too much information beyond that, at least to me. I don’t care much for Magsafe ammo myself, but Joe was a good guy and one, I believe, that firmly believed his ammo was radically better than most. I do not know how the bullets for Magsafe ammo are made since Joe passed on and the company moved to Florida.

Cobb, check the 9mm. It looks to me as if it is loaded with steel rods in a plastic or epoxy matrix. Some of these rounds were made by a guy in the Northwest who had a real interest in funny/odd bullets, particularly in 9mmP and 45ACP. The two 45 ACPs on the right may be his work.

I got a reply from another friend…the 45acp on the far right is a safestop made to be loaded first in the chamber its for head shots. Jim Cirillo designed it.

They could be als stuff.I have not seen the 2 designs before. It does look to be rods of some type.

do you have more informations and pictures about the scimitar ?
thanks

Samourai - I have no more information that I can give you nor any pictures of the round. It is in my collection, but the picture already posted shows everything there is to see. The brass is commercial, not military, on these rounds.

The far right .45ACP load is most certainly the late Jim Cirillo’s patented (#5,097,767) “Safe Stop” bullet.

I have a photocopy of a web page from “Village Metalworks” that was adertising the sale of the Safe Stop bullets.

A partial photo of a box of bullets has the following address on it:

Village Metalworks
Box 1358
Snoqualmie, WA 98065

Doing some search on the internet it appears that a gentleman named Fuzzy Fletcher was the proprietor of Village Metalworks, but it seems that the company no longer exists and the website I got the info from is no longer up and running. (My info is dated from 03/2003).

Apparently there is more info about Crillio’s Safe Stop bullet design in Crillio’s own book titled: “Guns, Bullets & Gunfights” and should still be available from Paladin Press.