.45 ACP Blank/Shot ID

I’m not sure if my ID is correct on these rounds, any help appreciated.
From Left to Right:

Shot (Wood), Blank (Pink top wad), Blank (Tan top wad), Blank (Red top wad), Shot (Tan top wad)

The FA 4 round has a Steel case, is this a Trial rd ? and the EW 43 round, is this a Trial rd ?

Your middle three rounds are factory blank loads - that is, they were made as blanks (or at least as extended empty cases for loading blanks - sometimes the cases were sold to the Movie Industry blank makers) by the company who is on the headstamp. The one on the left is more likely some sort of ersatz dummy, perhaps even a basement job. I have never seen a Remington case with a wood bullet like that, and my personal feeling is that it is not factory.

As for the one the right, I have never pulled one of these apart. Some of them weigh as little as 141.00 grains and others as high as 168.00 grains. Right now, I don’t have a dupe of one to fish around in it. I initially thought they were all blanks - some of them certainly are, but the ones of the heavier weight feel like they have more in them than powder. However, they all have a very low-seated top wad, usually the sign of a blank. I just don’t know for sure which load it is. If they are shot, they waste a lot of the room in the case, as they could safely have a much heavier shot charge. The entire cartridge weight of each of the two I have, about which I am undecided, is less than the weight of a normal .45 ACP ball projectile.

It is NOT a trials load of any kind though. It is purely commercial, made from .30-06 brass. I lean towards them all being blanks, for at least some are found, that are certainly blanks, in this exact length and crimp design, in movie-company boxes (Stembridge, etc.). They are designed primarily for the Thompson Submachine gun, as are many of the commercial blanks. I have several boxes in my collection so marked. In the movie industry, there are many different types of blanks. Long duration flash, short duration flash, quarter loads, half loads, full loads, etc. They are all for different purposes. Some make little sound, the “gun shots” being put into the movie later. the movies like a lot of flash so the viewer gets the effect of the gun actually being fired. In fast-firing full-auto weapons, this requires a long duration flash so that all of the flash of the shots doesn’t accidentally occur between frames, therefore going unrecorded on the film. All of these different types and levels of load and types of powder used could easily account for the differences in weight of this style of blank cartridge,

John Moss

The steel cased round is the military issue Blank, FAT1E2.
The first appearance of this blank with the large 3-stake primer crimp (called a “Clover Leaf Crimp”) was on Frankford Arsenal drawing FB 19510 dated 29 Feb. 1944. It was redesignated "Revolver Blank, Cal. .45, M9 (T1-E2). Finally, on 25 March, 1944 the name was changed to “Cartridge, Blank, Revolver, Cal. .45, M9”

This same cartridge with a standard ringed primer is the Blank, M9.

This information is from “History of Moden U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition” , Vol. 2, Pg. 19-20.