.45 ACP Dairt

Picked up this rather nice Dairt box today. Short of full by 7 rounds (guess that math figures…) with the expected “RA 41”, “RA 42” and “W.R.A.CO. .45 A.C.” headstamps. Looked back at Forum discussions and the fine article by John Moss in Journal Issue 461 on these but didn’t see a weight for the “Oilite” projectile mentioned (could have missed it though…) A cartridge weight of about 232 grains would seem to indicate around a 150 grain bullet. Has anyone pulled one for an accurate weight?

If near 150 grains, would guess getting proper function out of a M1911 would likely mean some zippy velocity. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave - a new, never loaded oilite bullet from my collection, which has a concave base, weighs 145.5 grains. I cannot insure that the Dairt cartridges from those boxes are loaded with the same bullets. I would gladly pull one, but I don’t know where I might have any dupes stashed. I would not have kept many of them years ago, when I acquired mine. I usually don’t save reloads at all, but when done by a large company using a unique component, I cheat a little.

John,

Thank you for the weight information. My comparison of weights for a 230 grain load vs. the Oilite showed an 84 grain difference which would indicate a 146 grain bullet all other things being equal. Works for me!

Dave

Found some information on Dairt Co. Inc. that may be of interest to some folks…

FREED IN MUNITIONS CASE

Dairt Company and 2 Officials Cleared by Federal Jury

The Dairt Company, Inc., and two of its officials were cleared by the verdict of a Federal court jury yesterday of charges that they had conspired to defraud the Amtorg Trading Corporation, Soviet purchasing agency, in the sale of defective bullets.
 The jury’s ruling absolved Nathan Silverman, president and treasurer of the corporation, and Moe Saraga, its general manager.  Previously, at the close of the Government’s case, Judge Alfred C. Coxe had directed verdicts of acquittal for Gerard Mosiello of 136 Waverly Place and his brother, Anthony, of 142 Sullivan Street.  Silverman is a resident of Cedarhurst, L.I., and Saraga’s home is listed as 1694 Davidson Avenue, the Bronx.
 In its verdict the jury rejected the Government’s contention that the defendants had knowingly distributed bullets made with defective castings or primings.

New York Times
Dec. 18, 1943

I would guess that “defective castings or primings” is referring to defective “cases and primers”. I assume “defective bullets” refers to complete cartridges.

Dave