.45 ACP Dave Andrews 1987 Commemorative

For some time I have a .45 ACP (hollow point) with a unusual headstam
"DAVE ANDREWS 1987" The case has a blue finish and I think is made of aluminium.

All info about the headstamp would be more than welkom.

CCI, the maker of your anodized aluminum case, often makes a run of commemorative cartridges to honor retiring employees. Dave Andrews, a long-esteemed member of the IAA, was one such employee. Most of the other similar rounds I’ve seen have been .22 rimfires.

Jon is right on. What he didn’t mention is this tribute to Dave Andrews, who did much work with the various Speer reloading manuals until he retired, was the first, I believe, of the commemorative “retirement” cartridges. There have been a number of them since, perhaps over 40. While most are .22s, as John said, there have been a 9mm Para, a .45 Colt, .17 RFs, a .44 Magnum and a second .45 auto, as I recall. They are an interesting group of cartridges. Oh yes, there have also been two simply commemorating Christmas, and one or two made for AFTE (Association of Firearms and Tool Examiners). Since all of the ammo are for each one are intially given to the retired employees, they are not easy to find.

Thanks for the additional, John. I didn’t know that Dave’s was the first.

The signifance of the use of a .45 ACP as a commenative cartridge for Dave Andrews was that he was a National Champ .45 Auto shooter as well as a CCI employee for many years.

Thanks all for the info. The use of this usual headstamp is fully clear to me. Can someone can give a an example of such a commentative headstamp on a .22 ( not much space to put a name and date on)

Thanks

Richard

[quote=“r308”]Thanks all for the info. The use of this usual headstamp is fully clear to me. Can someone can give a an example of such a commentative headstamp on a .22 ( not much space to put a name and date on)

Thanks

Richard[/quote]
Richard, some of the headstamps on .22 rf cartridges by CCI are as follows; ACI (in three diamonds),B K (in crosshairs), BR (logo), ERI,65 (over a pair of wings, with 95 under),JMC, and, etc. M. Rea

Here are a whole bunch of CCI Commemorative headstamps from Witt’s End in the July/August, 2005 (Issue 444) 50th Anniversty Issue of the IAA Journal.

Thanks M.D. Rea and Ron for the additional info.
Nice items to collect.
Now I only have to look for them at the cartridgeshows.

In addition to the Berdan primed loaded blue NR case you show, CCI made two other colors, a light gray, and a light green annodised aluminum case with the identical headstamp. Neither of which were loaded, as apparently Dave was not happy with those colors & so none used.

Pete - I have four colors. I am not sure which grey one you describe. I have the blue and the green. I then have one I would call a medium grey and one that I suppose is grey, but it has a decidedly tan over-tone to the color. when the two grey are put side-by-side, they are dramatically different colors. As you say, all but the blue are NUPE cases. I don’t think anything but the blue ones were ever loaded.

Interesting, I’d say I have the tan over-tone color in .38 SPL & so would call this one of mine, just a medium grey.