.45 ACP Kynoch

Both exact same weight and same polished tin bullet jacket. NOT nickel.

Maybe Eley made for Kynoch?

Both same 303 grains total weight. Non magnetic.

Joe

1 Like

The Eley headstamp with “.45 AUTO” caliber designation, and large copper primer, is fairly early for British manufacture of this caliber ammunition. The Eley 1914-1915 Export Price List Number 43 shows two .45 Auto rounds, and they both have the ELEY 45 AUTO headstamp clearly shown on the cartridge drawings in that list.

Unusual about both the ELEY and KYNOCH rounds are that they do not have the stab bullet crimps at the case mouth that appear on every other Eley or Kynoch .45 round in my own collection, which contains a fair amount of specimens from these two makers combined.

They both appear to me to be made by the same maker, which in this case would most likely be ELEY.

There is also an early “ELEY .45 ACP” headstamped round, as opposed to “ELEY .45 AUTO.” This round also has the large copper primer, and is without the stab bullet crimps at the case mouth, as are the other early Brit .45s with the large copper primer. It is definitely earlier than the 45 AUTO headstamp. It appears in Eley’s 1907-1908 Price List, as well as in an ad from a Canadian publication (title unknown to me) published in February 1913. That fits the time frame before the 45 AUTO headstamp perfectly. The address for Eley Bros. in that ad, by the way, is ELEY BROS. (Canada) Ltd., Transcona, Man. (I assume Manitoba) and London England.

Edited to make a more complete answer.

John Moss

Are the jackets in fact tin? Jack

The jackets in my cartridges look to be cupro-nickel. Tinned jackets usually have a grey tone; my gleam more to the silver in color, with a higher degree of polish than I am accustomed to seeing with tin jackets. However, I am not a metallurgist, and do not have any equipment that could possibly confirm the metallic make-up of the jackets scientifically. I don’t know how it was determined that the jackets were not cupro-nickel.

John Moss

The tinned gilding metal jackets I am familiar with, mostly early 20th century WRA, have a metallic gray caste to me; cupro nickel jackets are to my eyes essentially white or very slightly gray in tone. Tinning is so thin it seems to wear very easily. Jack

I am usualy very good at telling such. Tinned jackets run from dull grey to very reflective in my experience. CN is easy enough to tell, as you usually get that ever so slight yellow nickel tone. Some CN even have a whitish look like silver plating.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe it is CN and it is just greyer than normal and also rougher in texture.

Kynoch headstamp on the left (with NO pin stabs) and the “K” headsatmped round pictured above on the right.