.45 ACP projectile question

This projectile was pushed in hard so I pulled it, hard too, and found it was fired before. But the nose is intact. How was this achieved? Was it fired into water or air and was caught before it hit the ground?

DSCF3014 DSCF3016 DSCF3017

Sure, water will minimize the deformation of a .45 projo, but I’ve seen many of them fired into sand, dirt and mud with no serious damage. I think the low velocity and the thick jacket contribute to this
Taber

2 Likes

I have a box full of 230 gr. .45 ACP FMJ projectiles that look just like that. Recovered from dirt piles and packed snow, essentially undamaged, save for the rifling. They are in good enough condition to be reused. Not that I would advise anyone to do so, or that I might have ever done that…

Maybe this is why the 230 gr. FMJ projectile has been called “hard ball”…

Edited to add: I have recovered many other caliber and types of projectiles in surprisingly good and “reusable” condition. I believe this practice of improvised reloading of fired cases and projectiles has been taught and used in partisan and guerilla warfare in the past. Can anyone add to this thought?

1 Like

My Dad grew up during WWI and the Depression, and he told me, many times, “If it can be used, traded, sold, or made into somethign else, pick it up and keep it.”

I got into the habit of scaveging bullets from the berm, and some with shallow rifling- and no damage- were reload for practice ammo. This was 1966 or thereabouts when I started.

Some were put into cases [like above] for reloading die adjustment for different bullets, and to show people, and everything else was melted down for lead to make other bullets.

2 Likes

Bullets fired into snow are seemingly pretty well intact. Back in my young days as a shooter and reloader I salvaged some 6.5 mm bullets and tried to use them for reloading. It turned out they were slightly eccentric, so that was that.

1 Like

Hi Vlad, the silica in sand butts / backstops at ranges often cause those multiple irregular shaped pock marks that are showing on the nose of your .45 bullet. Below is an example of a 9mm FMJ and a .40 TMJ that have been marked up the same way by impacting sand, Pete.

1 Like

Amen to that! When my parents both passed away and I had to clear out their home since 1947, I could NOT believe the things my parents cleaned and saved. E.g.,: aluminum foil of every size and shape; glassware (and lids) for canning food; washed and neatly sorted/stored take-out food containers; balls of string & twine; buttons of every size, shape, color imaginable; 100s of baby-food jars of neatly sorted screws, nuts, bolts, nails, washers, etc. In the days they grew up - NOTHING was thrown out that might have a use.

I am still guilty of those, and machine parts/motors, lawn mower blades, (for knives)… I do manange to make a little money on my scavenging, and at 62 I am not likely to break that habbit!