45 auto box

Here is a box of .45 Autos I picked up this past weekend that maybe of interest to some of you guys.

Zac

Maxim stuff is always nice. These boxes aren’t rare, but then they are not so common either, and there are variations of them.

For more information on the Maxim Company, there is a three-part article from Woodin Lab in the last three issues of the IAA Journal. Most of the information on Maxim is in Part II. It was researched by several people, including one of our most active and knowledgeable Forum Members, Fede.

John, as always, you wrote a truly amazing article, congratulations!

Mine was the easy part, Fede. All I did was put the thing together. A joint effort, for sure. You and LB did the linon’s share of the research. That’s one great thing about computers, I guess. Basically, I hate them, but it sure does allow for the exchange of information among friends and that increases everyone’s ability to consolidate information for the good of everyone.

Are these lead coated, copper jacketed bullets? If not, does anyone know the composition?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I believe they were the standard US military spec bullets of that time, cupronickel jackets with lead core.

Dennis - Standard U.S. Cal .45 bullets at that time were tinned GM. I have no idea what bullet material Maxim may have used.

Ray

Ray - I am pretty sure these Maxim rounds met the U.S. military standards of their day - Tinned, GM FMJ RN 230 Grain bullets with lead core, etc. There are some lots, though, where the bullet is so highly polished in appearance that they look more nickel than tinned. The ones shown on this thread, though, have the normal appearance of the tinned bullets.

John,

All of the contract rounds that I have - P.C.Co., REM-UMC, W, U.S.C. Co. - are tinned GM. But, I don’t have a Maxim to check. I get burned too often when I assume things so I took the easy route and plead ignorance. Your post makes it clear what they are.

Ray

John

As you know, the very first F.A. Cal .45 bullets were CN (on the left, below) and they do have a “shinier” appearance than the tinned ones (right). Maybe Maxim made some with CN jackets? Or, maybe they are Proof cartridges with a different type of tinned surface?

Ray

Not sure, Ray, what they are. I have every month of production (that is, the headstamp for every month) of the Maxim .45s, except for the first two that have a totally different headstamp and since so far are only found as dummies, were probably pre-production rounds. About half of mine have the shiney bullet.

I am aware of the FA rounds with cupronickel. I have it for 9-11, 11-11 and 12-11. I don’t have one with a 10-11 headstamp, but assume if they made them that month that they probably are cupronickel jackets as well. After 12-11, all of mine appear to be tinned.

These jacket changes are one of the reasons that I chose to collect every date in these double-date headstamps by FA, Maxim, USCCO, W.R.A.Co., Rem-UMC and Peters. I do not have the Peters one. Like Remington and Winchester, they only did it in early 1913. Usually, I don’t collect dates in my auto pistol ammo headstamps, except for Makarov, where I collect every date due to a different study I have been doing on them.

Really nice photo of the two cartridges by the way. Very Natural looking, and an excellent choice of background color. Wish my pictures looked that good!

John

That photo is 1/2 of one that I took several years ago. I took it to show the “stab” crimp and cartridges in a half-moon clip. After I had uploaded it to my PC I noticed that there were only 2 cartridges in the clip and I thought, “what the heck happened?” So I got the clip out and, sure enough, it had all 3 cartridges. 2 of them were so perfectly lined up that it appears to be only 2. That is so unusual that I saved the photo just the way it is.

Ray

Ray - its a great photo. I don’t know how much more perfect a rendition of two cartridges, in color, could be.