45 auto

On one of the auction sites there is a cartridge listed called a 45 Auto Delayed Shot, is this a legitimate cartridge or a gun show round?
Carolyn

Carolyn - I have been collecting .45 Auto for about 45 years, and have never heard of a “delayed shot” round. Probably in my own ignorance, I don’t even know what “delayed shot” would mean. There was a U.S. Government (CIA, most likely) explosive .45, made most likely by Winchester (the one I saw had no headstamp and a domed primer, looking very much like Winchester stuff of the time when I saw it). I recall it has what I can only call a “capped hollow-point” (a recessed nose but not a deep hollow point like a normal ball defensive round) that was sealed in red lacquer. I don’t recall any other fine details of the bullet. could not acquire a cartridge due to California law, but I was able, for my box collection, to get the original tin. It is about 1.4 inches in diameter and approximately 1.5 inches high, and painted gray. It obviously had a “spam can” key attached to the side, but it is gone, along with the strip of metal that joined the top and bottom of the can. The entire “label” is printed in red paint, very nicely, on the top of the lid:

CAL.45
H.E.ROUND
WITH .006
SEC.DELAY
5 EA.

You can see from the wording why this round came to my mind when you mentioned “Delayed Shot.” I have no idea what the round is that you referred to. You would have to match the description to the round to see if they could be the same. Right off the bat, if the cartridge offered has a headstamp, it is NOT one of these.

Sorry I couldn’t help any more than this information.

John Moss

This is a picture of the cartridge it has a R-P h/s

Carolyn - Another round probably made for the CIA - a really study in the weird and useless, as far as I am concerned. It may well be called “Delay Shot,” I simply don’t know. However, it is a legitimate round and very collectible.

John Moss

Here is a brief thread from the archives on the delayed shot cartridge pictured above:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4761&hilit=Delayed+shot

I picked one of these cartridges up at the CCCA’s show in Reno, NV., in June. Maybe someone can provide some insight into this specific cartridge.

In theory the nylon cord / thread was attached the the case mouth with a dab of glue, when chambered it would be severed and as as the ‘bullet’ spun the nylon would unwind, allowing a controlled parting of the sabot. More winding longer delay & so forth.
Not sure who made it.