.45 Colt Proof Box

Here is a box seldom seen outside the ammunition and gun factories.

Again, if desired by the Forum users, I can post some pictures of other proof boxes, from other makers, including a few foreign ones. I will probably need to spread this out over a little time - a week or so - starting next week, but if there is no interest, there will be no point in doing it. Ron’s box is very typical of American proof boxes, and shows very well the type of label used on this kind of ammunition. His picture is probably better than I am capable of making.

John - dunno about anyone else but I’d love to see them After coiled-case ammo, proofs are my next big interest.

In fact, here’s a box from my collection:

The cartridge is brass with a red nose and base. Headstamp: SUPER VEL 44 REM MAG. Bullet is a conical GM soft-nosed HP.

Two German 9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger) proof boxes. The top one is from Geco and is of commercial style, and has knurled-rim cartridges with the “SINTOX” headstamp. The bottom one is a military/police style box from MEN.

John Moss

Various “Geco” boxes for High Pressure Proof Loads, call "Laufbeschu

Various Central European proof boxes. The top two are from Hirtenberger of Austria. Note that one uses the term “Uberdruckpatrone” for proof load, and the other "Beschu

Top is an Italian proof load box for .40 S&W. unfortunately, we don’t have a cartridge to go with this one! The next row has a French .32 Auto 7.65mm Browning) box from Gevelot. Note the term “Cartouches a Surcharge” indicating a high pressure load. The Red label probably is a danger warning as well, as it is not the norm for Gevelot boxes. The other box on that line as a Finnish 9mm Para proof box that I got at Mauser when I visited there. They were proofing the post-WWII Lugers that they made for Interarms initially, and later for other sales. The bottom box is a rqather scarce Brazilian proof load box for 9mm Para, using the term in Portuguese "Cartuchos Sobre Press

The top box shown is an Eley .38 Automatic cartridge box. It is the normal ball box, simply stamped on one side “Proof Cartridges” and on the other side with the amount of Revolver Cordite Poswder used. The amount is illegible. The label as shown is not exciting among proof boxes, but it is such a nice old Eley box, I could not resist including it, and it IS a proof box. Also show, with red label, is a 9mm Para proof box from Footscray, in Australia. Aside from the word “Proof” the designation “Q.IZ” indicates a Mark I proof load, as well. Finally, a Canadian military proof box for 9mm Parabellum, 64 rounds, from 1945.

John Moss

Four different styles of Remington Proof Load Label. The top three are all .45 Auto, with the bottom one being .25 auto. I decided on the U.S. labels to show only different styles. There are others in the collection, but they are all of the style of label that will be shown, simply bigger or smaller depending on the size of the box.

John Moss

The top box is from Speer and is for .50 Action Express proof loads. The one under it is a military proof load box for .45 auto cartridges, from Frankford Arsenal, with cartridges dated “42”.

John Moss

Three different Winchester 9mm Parabellum proof boxes. The top box is a commerical box, Winchester Index Number DPW9L+P and is relatively current. The middle box is from WWII, and is military contract style. The bottom one is from the U.S. Military, from 1986. Note the designation M905 for the military 9mm Proof Load. The back of the box has further cautions on it: "NOTE: THESE CARTRIDGES ARE NOT SERVICE CARTRIDGES. THEY ARE INTENDED TO PROOF NEW OR REWORKED WEAPONS AND SHOULD ONLY BE FIRED WITHIN A TEMPERATURE RANGE OF 50

Thanks for posting those! I can see I have a lot of ground to cover.

Cyberwombat - Yes, there is a lot of ground to cover with these boxes, or any others. Don’t think from my posting that any of these boxes are common, or that Ron Merchant was wrong when he said they aren’t often seen around. I have been seriously collecting auto pistol cartridge boxes for about 40 years, with the exception of one period of sheer insanity when I gave some away because I was “running out of space” (are you listening, Lew - Hee! Hee!). I had about 300 boxes then - now I have about three or four thousand - just not sure anymore, as my cabinets have been full for years, and the rest are in big cardboard boxes in little or no order. Stuff relating to proof loads may be the hardest category of box to get. I don’t have the rounds for many of the boxes I pictured. Huge liabilities for factories with High Pressure Proof Loads if they get in the wrong hands. I don’t consider cartridge collectors as the wrong hands, by the way.

John - I really, really gotta get out there to see you!

I realize they’re not that common, which is half the fun of hunting them down. Besides, I’ve only gotten really serious about proof loads since St. Louis.

.17 HMR proofs, sealed box.

.17 HMR proof single round headstamp. I picked that up separate at SLICS. I didn’t have to unseal my box. Hooray.

.17 HMR (Hornady?) proof. This one is obvious.

.17 M2 Hornady proof.

British Proof boxes are also extremely difficult to find - attached a few boxes:

A very interesting thread with some rare boxes.