.45 ec 42

I have a few boxes of .45 pistol ammo, steel casing, from Evansville with a 1942 date.

I also have a few boxes of .45, from 1954, Winchester RA. Is there any collector value to these boxes of ammo?

Mike–There is collector value for anything. But of all the WW-II era .45 ACP, the EC 42 (Evensville Chrysler) is probably the most common and might have a slight premium as a full box, but not much. I would guess the full box to have a value of about $5.00. The same for the RA box. It is made by Remington Arms, not Winchester.

What is the headstamp on your “Winchester RA” ammo? If it is W.R.A. than it is Winchester. If it is R.A. alone, then as Ron says, it is Remington Arms. I don’t agree with the value of the 1954 box of ammo. The WWII EC ammunition is corrosive, and by the box has a fairly low value in our neck of the woods. I think Ron is about right on that. But non-corrosive hardball .45 auto ammo would carry a price, at least around here, to shooters (never mind collectors) of from ten to fifteen dollars, because it is newer and non-corrosive. Bear in mind that I am counting the 1954 box as a 50-round box. The same for the Evansville Chrysler Ammo, which was usually boxed 50 to a box, even though some WWII ammo came 20 to a box in other makes. You didn’t specify how many rounds to a box, and that is important to value, of course. I don’t usually chime in on values, but in this case, since I am a very active handgun shooter, I can relate the values as shooting ammo. It is far less subjective than trying to evaluate a scarcer “collector’s cartridge” (every cartridge is collectable if you don’t have it in your collection already, but as Ron points out, not every collectible cartridge is valuable).