.45 Raptor (AR-10 big bore)

I came across this today and hadn’t seen it in the forum yet. It’s much like the other AR platform big bore type loads, especially 450 Bushmaster & .458 SOCOM, but is based on the .460 S&W to some extent, with a rimless case matched to the typical .308 size for use in the AR-10 with .45 cal barrel. The inventor was Arne Brennan and this came to market in the spring of 2014 as described in the Wikipeida article about it. The headstamp below is RSS 45 RAPTOR RSS stands for Raptor Shooting Sports.

http://www.45raptor.com/45RAPTOR/

I am wondering if there is a practical limit on the length of cartridges that headspace off the case mouth. The link says that the case length is 1.800 inches. Previous successful designs such as the .30 Carbine, .45 Winchester Magnum and .44 Automag topped out at around 1.3 inches/33mm. The old .400 Whelen wildcat reportedly had problems forming enough shoulder on a .30-06 case to headspace reliably, so a .45 caliber cartridge base on the .308 Winchester seems iffy to me. It occurs to me that a little extra case thickness at the cartridge neck might be helpful for headspacing a longer cartridge. Shortening the .308 Win by four or five millimeters wouldn’t provide much if any increase in case thickness at the case mouth. Perhaps trimming a .30-06 case to 1.800 inches provide the parent material for the .45 Raptor. I have a bunch of .30-06 cylindrical cases, and I have noticed in the past that they are way to big at the mouth to hold a .45 Auto projectile. The cases shown in the link are headstamped .45 Raptor and may have been purpose designed to address this issue.

I received a bag of 45 Raptor brass today. Below is a better scanned image of the headstamp:

and a copy of the measurement specs found at ammoguide.com:

From the Dimensions given, it is more like a 6,5 Swede Based case ( 0,478" dia.Head.). Also, the Neck is (.478-.452)/2== 0,013" thick. Quite substantial.

As to the Case itself, I would say “Starline” made (from the geometry of the Headstamp Font.)

Nice Case.

I am currently working on a 9x33 based on the 10mm Mag. Case ( 10x32) for a re-barrelled .357 Desert Eagle.

Doc AV

A 30-06 case cut to length does seem close enough in size.
Have you thought of trying to fire-form one yet?
The prices of those Raptor cases is more than I would want to pay for a loaded round.

Please Note: below picture on right: Below picture on right side: left 45 Raptor vs. right 460 S&W

New for 2018 the .45 Raptor was developed by Arne Brennan of North American Sportsman, LLC for use in the AR-10 semi-automatic rifle, by making the 460 S&W Rimmed cartridge case rimless, both of which came for the .308 Winchester case.
Designed to shoot projectiles ranging from 160 grains up to 395 grains, this is a great bush
caliber, out preforming the 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM and 50 Beowulf.
New for 2018 the .45 Raptor was developed by Arne Brennan of North American Sportsman, LLC for us in the AR-10 semi-automatic rifle, by making the 460 S&W Rimmed cartridge case rimless, both of which came for the .308 Winchester case.
Designed for to shoot bullets ranging from 160 grains up to 395 grains, this is a great bush
caliber, out preforming the 450 Bushmaster , 458 SOCOM and 50 Beowulf.
For more information: http://www.ammo-one.com/45Raptor.html

Here is a sharp scan of this new Starline .45 Raptor brass: