45 Woldcott

Could you confirm the identification ?
And if good, who is Woldcott ?

thanks
jp

jeanpierre:

THE CARTRIDGE YOU DEPICT IS CALLED A .45 WOLCOTT. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NAME , “WOLCOTT” REFERS TO THE BULLET ONLY. THESE BULLETS CAN BE FOUND IN .45 CALIBER CASES OF SEVERAL DIFFERENT LENGHTS. ALL OF THE CASES I HAVE OBSERVED OVER THE YEARS HAVE BEEN WITHOUT HEADSTAMP, BERDAN PRIMED AND MANUFACTURED BY U.M.C., AS WERE THE BULLETS. H.H. WOLCOTT WAS THE PRESIDENT OF THE STARR ARMS COMPANY AND THE INVENTOR OF THE WOLCOTT CARBINE, PATENTED 27 NOVEMBER 1866.

IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS WOLCOTT’S FIRST AND MIDDLE NAME, AND WHEN AND WHERE HE WAS BORN AND DIED I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU ARE WILLING TO SHARE THE INFORMATION.

JP, this variation is known as the .45-78 Wolcott with a case length noted as 2 2/10" or 2 3/16" (specimens usually measure 55.7-55.9 mm). There are variations with shorter (2 1/8") and longer (2 3/10") cases.

George, his first and middle name was Henry Huntington, he was born on August 5, 1816 in Middletown, CT, and he died on September 28, 1890 in Brooklyn, NY.

Regards,

Fede

Fede:

THANKS A MILLION TIMES. I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS GENTLEMAN BUT HAVEN’T DONE WELL WITH MY RESEARCH.

thank you Fede and GWB.

I don’t find the price in the listing.
What is the value ?
JP

jeanpierre:

$50.00 TO $75.00 PERHAPS A LITTLE MORE IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE OF THE HARDER CASE LENGHTS TO FIND. BOXES OF THE BULLETS STILL SHOW UP EVERY ONCE AND AWHILE AND WHEN THEY DO, SOMEONE JUST FEELS COMPELLED TO LOAD UP SOME NEW ROUNDS TO SELL AND OFFSET THE COST OF BUYING THE BOX OF BULLETS… THIS WOULD ACCOUNT FOR SOME OF THE LOADED CARTRIDGES NOT BEING WITH U.M.C. CASES. I SHOULD ALSO MENTION, IT WOULD APPEAR THAT U.M.C., ON SPECIAL ORDER, WOULD LOAD THESE BULLETS INTO WHATEVER CASE THE CUSTOMER WANTED.

thank you George!
jp
PS : you didn’t answer about my question about Turtle Man !