.450 - 3 1/4" patent marked coiled case

Here’s a coiled case .450-3 1/4" black powder express cartridge I recently found which has the ‘ELEY-BOXER PATENT’ marked case. This is the first one so marked that I have been able to find. George Hoyem has a sectioned one of these pictured in Vol 3 of his book, which doesn’t clearly show the case wall marking. Are other calibers and lengths known to be marked this way?

Nice round !!!
JP

The only other one I have is a .450-1

I believe the Boxer patent was issued in 1869. Would I be correct in assuming that the case stamping was probably used for only a few years following that date?

Boxer’s first English patent was in 1866; his US patent was 1869. However, my guess is that the plain-foil Boxer style case was introduced commercially around 1870 (this would coincide with the adoption of the .577/.450 MH and its plain-foil case). I’m still researching that.

But yes, the case stamping appears to only have been used for a short while. Does the one you have use a tubed “Express” bullet? The one I have has a solid-nosed PPL bullet.

Mine does not have the copper tube. Do you know what year the copper tubed ‘express’ bullet was introduced?

Cyberwombat - are you saying you have a .450 x 1.5" case with impressed stamp of ‘Boxer Patent’ like the 3.25" ctg? Never seen one of those.
Nice ctg Guy - I want one!! I have paper-covered coiled cases with stenciled markings, e.g. ‘ELEY BROs .360 GAUGE’ & 'ELEY-BOXER .451 Bore’
I think Guy’s ctg dates from about 1870 - the paper covered coil cases were heavily criticised after 1869/1870 military trials - the paper rucked on entry into the breech and caused jams - so the MH was made without paper - it was also found to be unnecessary - the cases did not ‘unroll’ without the paper cover.

Yes, that’s correct. Unfortunately I don’t have a good photo that shows the stamping. I’ll try to get a good one in the next few days.

No, I don’t, but I think the idea goes back a ways.

What’s more important (IMHO) is the lack of it in this loading. All of the .450 3-1/4" stamped brass cases I’ve seen have the solid, military-style 480gr bullet, held in place with the cannelure. Could these have been done on contract (or as a special batch for overseas sales), before the government decided to change the MH from the “long chamber” to the “short chamber?” Pure speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable.

I have been researching the .450 x 3.25 recently. One thing that surprised me was the lack of 480 grain blt loads between 1870-1898 when Rigby introduced a cordite load with metal-jacketed blt.
After the Boxer-Henry trials of 1869/70, the coiled-case ctg saw little military use (they liked the penetration provided by the heavy bullet) - but the Express version loaded with 270 grain HP bullet was widely used by hunters - for light game, especially deer. The low trajectory helped sighting & the deep hollow-point provided a long bearing surface to engage rifling & expanded nicely on game.
When Rigby upped the velocity with cordite he brought the ctg into sporting use with the heavier 480 grain blt - giving ft/lb energy to take on dangerous game such as tigers.
Look forward to pics on .450 x 1.5" Cyberwombat - another favourite ctg of mine. Regards JP-C