450 Long

Six rounds were given to me, some with 450 headstamp some without, they measure to be 45 COLT, but the stamped rounds have a larger rim dia
.516. and a greater OAL 1.7".
My guess is they are early 45 colt ,possibly English with the 450 designation.
The doner obtained these and other rounds with a early or antique Colt single action revolver, and generously gave me some spares.
The colt has no caliber markings, corrosion to on side where it has been laying for a long time.
Terry.

They are .450 Long Revolver, not .45 Colt. There are 5 different case lengths for the .450 Long Revolver: 0.784, 0.859, 0.938, 1.03 and 0.1.297. Based on the overall length of yours, they seem to be the longest variety, which is the most common. The name as listed in Manual of Pistol and Revolver Cartridges, Vol. II by Erlmeier & Brandt is .450 Long C.F. with 1 19/64 case.

Thanks Ron, I will take some more accurate measurements now.
Terry.

It is a common misconception that the 450 Long came in a 5 specific case lengths. Not surprising as they are listed as such White & Munhall and repeated in Erlmeier-Brandt. However, they originated at a time when there was little standardization in revolver rounds - especially those that were also chambered in the English Rook Rifles of the period. I suspect the W&M applied these categories for convenience sake.
While European manufacturers like RWS and Utendoerffer often listed a specific case length it was normally to differentiate it from the .450 Short that also appears in their catalogues of the time. The case length for the 450 Long can vary from .76 to 1.3 inches and with practically any length between these figures depending on the manufacturer and the period in which it was made. The .450 Short case length varies from .6 to .75 inch. On top of that you get blanks and shot cartridges made for the .450 Short which aren’t necked and have a case length of up to 1.13 inches.
I agree with Ron that these appear to be .450 Long.