.455 Mk IV Revolver (Sectioned)

MkIV .455

Thats very good. Whats the spec? (headstamp date etc)?

Headstamp R/|\L C IV

Also known as the “Man Stopper”

Is the word “manstopper” actually on the headstamp?

There was an excellent 2 part article in the short lived “Handgunner” magazine about 25 years ago which included a lot of the history of attempts to make the .455 Webley more effective by developing rounds such as this. I can’t remember who the article was by, possibly Jan Stevenson the editor under a nom de plume. I has always assumed the name manstopper was unofficial.

Apparantly the .455 was regarded as ineffectual because it didn’t drop an enemy quickly enough to stop him shooting you back. That problem was and still is universal with handguns except in the movies.

[quote=“Vince Green”]Is the word “manstopper” actually on the headstamp?

Apparantly the .455 was regarded as ineffectual because it didn’t drop an enemy quickly enough to stop him shooting you back. That problem was and still is universal with handguns except in the movies.[/quote]

Manstopper is not part of the headstamp.

Bullet placement is the key to stopping someone from shooting back at you. For instance a hit on the tip of the finger with a .577 loudenboomer double strength magnum is not as effective as a .22 LR rimfire between the eyes.

[quote=“Vince Green”]Is the word “manstopper” actually on the headstamp?

There was an excellent 2 part article in the short lived “Handgunner” magazine about 25 years ago which included a lot of the history of attempts to make the .455 Webley more effective by developing rounds such as this. I can’t remember who the article was by, possibly Jan Stevenson the editor under a nom de plume. I has always assumed the name manstopper was unofficial.

Apparantly the .455 was regarded as ineffectual because it didn’t drop an enemy quickly enough to stop him shooting you back. That problem was and still is universal with handguns except in the movies.[/quote]

Vince,

I believe that the “Manstopper” name was a commercial, not military, name. There was also a hollow base, hollow nose (almost “H” shaped in cross-section) bullet marketed. I used modern versions of this HBHN 265 grain bullet in competitions because it grouped well, matched the (fixed) sights on my revolvers and cut very neat holes in the target.

The .455 Webley bullet was probably more effective at “stopping” than the .380" and 9mm’s which superseded it.

gravelbelly

Gravelbelly
I remember the bullets you are referring to. Gillie Howe of Antique and Modern Firearms in Bournmouth gave me a couple. i also remember the terrible silverlubes.

Vince

Whats the spec? (headstamp date etc)?

The headstamp was probably R^L IV, although they were also made by Eley and Birmingham Metals. In India they were made at Dum Dum and Kirkee. I would be surprised if it was R^L C IV as stated as the use of the “C” to denote cordite had been dropped in 1908.

Bullet weight was 220grns and charge 5.5grns cordite.

The Mark IV was approved in May 1912 (LoC Para.16286) and it was withdrawn in 1914 and relegated to training for fears of contravening the St.Petersburg and Hague Conventions.

Few were made, RL issuing 1.5 million in 1912/13 and 2.2 million in 1913/14.

Regards
TonyE

I didn’t section the round myself and went by the positioning of the parts of the headstamp that are left all you can see is an R and IV. The R is at 11 o’clock and the IV is at 7 o’clock. I assumed that there would have been a C at 5 o’clock.

TonyE is more likely to be right on the headstamp than me ;-)

What is the length of that case? Looking at it again it looks more like a Mark I length case than a Mark IV.

Very strange…

Regards
TonyE

Case length is 19.13mm.

B****r - it is the right length!

Sorry for the red herring,
Regards
Tony

[quote=“TonyE”]B****r - it is the right length!

Sorry for the red herring,
Regards
Tony[/quote]

Now now young Edwards, stop posting and get on with part 4 :-)

Anyone who calls me young can’t be all bad…and anyway, Part 4 is vitually finished.

Regards
Tony

Apropos the ‘Manstopper’, I believe this is the critter.

Definitely an ugly little brute. This one is headstamped ‘KYNOCH .455’

Peter