.45ACP "REM-UMC 18" bullet cannelure

Is this a functional or identification cannelure on the projectile? I included the middle and right rounds for comparison, the middle one lack a 3 point punch crimp but the one on the right has this 3 point crimp.

Hi Vlad,

This cannelure was used to differentiate the 230 gr from the 200 gr loading. Read this previous discussion (images updated): .45 ACP REM - UMC 18 with knurled bullet

Regards,

Fede

1 Like

Because of the date on these cartridges, the knurled bullet probably represents the use of stockpiles of the commercial 230 grain bullet, the reason for the knurl as Fede says. There would seemingly be no other reason to find this bullet in the military .45 M1911 cartridges, as it was never loaded, at least on a full production scale, with a 200 grain bullet during this time. The cartridge with the stab bullet crimps, of course, was intended for use with the Colt and Smith & Wesson Model 1917 Revolvers. The center cartridge, with neither feature, was the norm for use with the M1911 Pistol.

One other remote possibility is that the cartridge was made for commercial practices using surplus factory stocks of the cartridge cases. The only way that could be proved is if someone has a full commercial box of .45 from Remington with the military, “18”- dated headstamp.

John Moss

1 Like

John, you are right about commercial use, below you can see a picture of the box. I don’t know the date code of this one, but a very similar label variant is dated 1922.

Saludos,

Fede

2 Likes

Fede - I have the same box. Date code appears to be MJOAAA, but the first two letters are not easy to read.

I also have an identical label except it is for the “200 GRS. BULLET”
and has no overstamp. It is dated coded L1OAAA.

I have a UMC Box with the same overstamp for the 230 Grains Bullet, except for being printed in red ink… I suppose because 200 grains was the norm when the original labels were printed, it did not show any bullet weight originally, but simply “SMOKELESS POWDER, METAL CASED BULLET” (printed on two lines, without the common I added to divide the two-line entry).

The cartridge is headstamp U.M.C. .45 A.C.P., with copper “U” primer. The bullet, although 230 grain, has no cannelure on it. I find no evidence of this UMC box ever having had a date code.

Both the 200 grains Remington- UMC Box and the earlier UMC Box are pictured below.

Unfortunately, both boxes were empty and a little beat up when I acquired them.

John M.

1 Like

John, great boxes, thanks for sharing. Your box would date from 1921 and the one without overstamp from 1920.

1 Like

For those that are interested a 45 with that same stamp exist that is a riot load only
difference is the bullet is shaped i tiny bit more round and if you shake it it will rattle
Sherryl

1 Like

Fede, thank you for that information. Dating of the UMC box is really not so important, so the absence of a date code is not a big deal. A reading of the entries for the .45 cartridge would suggest that the box is not earlier than early in 1906, and of course the UMC brand standing along ends about 1911, so that is only a period of five years. Production of the 1905 Commercial Colt Pistol, compared to the later production of the Colt Government Model, both commercial and military versions, was not high, perhaps explaining the relative scarcity of the UMC boxes for this caliber.

Sherryl - You are correct that the Remington Riot Load in .45 Automatic is found with the headstamp REM-UMC 18, possibly the first ones made since they have a plain copper primer, and the later two variations that I know of have a nickel “U” primer and a plain nickel primer, respectively.

Below is a scan of the H. P. White Laboratory data/box label card, from my collection, for the Riot loading. Note that what appears to be the date code is 27 B S. Even though the card shows that as the “factory lot no.” I am not sure, from the way they laid this card out, what label sections go with which of the labels, the Riot load overlabels or the original box label. I would think from certain details that the “45 AUTO COLT” end label at the very left-bottom of the card goes with the original 200 grs. Metal case bullet label, and the bottom label with the date code,at the bottom right side of the card, goes with the over labels. I could be wrong in both instances.

Edited to add missing date “18” from a headstamp description, a typo on my part.

John Moss

1 Like