45mm Case Telescoped APFSDS-T Sectioned Model

Added this beautiful, factory display model of a, 45mm Case Telescoped APFSDS-T round, made by, Ford.

Pretty sure this is just a mock up model, as the Sabot is machined from a single piece of metal with-out individual discarding petals. The simulated powder appears to be a textured, rubber, cutout. Thrilled to have added it to my collection of large bore, INERT, Sabot collection. :-) Really wild design.

Jason

2 Likes

Jason, do you know the case length?

Alex, it looks to be exactly, 12 inches long. :-)

Jason

Jason, did you happen to measure this kinda exactly? :-)

What’s interesting is the sabots have a nearly identical design to these 30mm sabots (which I believe have not been ID’d, and don’t belong in a 30x173mm GAU-8 case).

image Possibly a smaller related cartridge?

Some pics with the calipers :-)

1 Like

I have that same, 30mm, Rhys. I have never found any information on it either.

Jason

Jason, great !!! Thanks a lot!

And could you maybe tell the outer diameter?

1 Like

me3too

1 Like

Maybe the 30mm COMVAT mentioned in this document, page 8 ( DOD cased telescoped ammunition and gun technology program.pdf (1.6 MB))

DoD Cased Telescoped Ammunition and Gun Technology Program

2 Likes

Alex, here are some caliper pics of the width for you :-)

Jason

Jason, awesome! Thanks a lot buddy!

1 Like

The overall dimensions of the cartridge are very close to those of the 45 x 305 COMVAT, just slightly wider at 76 mm rather than 70 mm; and I believe did not have a metal case (certainly the ones I’ve seen did not).

Here’s a couple of pics taken at the ammo collection at Shrivenham, with both the 40 CTA and the 45 mm COMVAT which preceded it:

2 Likes

Tony, thanks!
What is the case length of the 40mm in your images?

I believe that the 40 CTA dimensions have always been 65 mm diameter and 255 mm long (or at any rate, since the metal case was adopted).

1 Like

Tony, thank you for the figures!

1 Like

STOKED to be of help, Alex! :-)

Jason

WOW!

These are great! Thanks so much, Tony for the amazing photos and information. Too cool!

Jason

A couple more for the mix. I’ve got some solitary darts that could be related, but I’ve got no way of confirming.

3 Likes

Jeff, thank you for sharing!
Can you tell us the exact OAL and diameter?

1 Like