460 rowland proprietary pistol cartridge

This is just a point of information if you haven’t seen this item.
I am not sure if it has been listed on this forum before, and not sure if you can do an item search on this forum to avoid listing an item more then once? That would be a big help in the future if you could do a search, then if something new on the item came up we could add to the old listing.

460 ROWLAND PROPRIETARY PISTOL CARTRIDGE
The .460 Rowland cartridge was invented by Johnny Rowland, the host of
"The Shooting Show" and introduced in 1998 for use in a conversion kit for heavy-duty versions of the 1911 pistols.
The 460 Rowland case is .956", approximately 1/16" longer than a 45 ACP at 0.898" .
Energy is reported equal to the .44 Remington Magnum performance, which is why a good strong 1911 fame is needed
note the 460 Rowland longer case vs. 45ACP shorter case.

For more information please see:
ammo-one.com/460Rowland.html
Thank you and don’t forget to VOTE

if your voting for McCain you should vote on Tuesday 11/4.
if your voting for Obama, you should vote on Wed. 11/5.
small joke.
Dave Call
www.ammo-one.com

FWIW: Georgia Arms of Villa Rica, GA produces the loaded ammunition for this cartridge.

Dave,I think that 1,275" refers to the overall lenght,not to the case lenght.
If so the case should be longer than the 45 winchester magnum…

Pivi’s correct. That’s the cartridge OAL, not case length.

[quote=“A Call to Arms”]This is just a point of information if you haven’t seen this item.
I am not sure if it has been listed on this forum before, and not sure if you can do an item search on this forum to avoid listing an item more then once? That would be a big help in the future if you could do a search, then if something new on the item came up we could add to the old listing.

460 ROWLAND PROPRIETARY PISTOL CARTRIDGE
The .460 Rowland cartridge was invented by Johnny Rowland, the host of
"The Shooting Show" and introduced in 1998 for use in a conversion kit for heavy-duty versions of the 1911 pistols.
The 460 Rowland case is .956", approximately 1/16" longer than a 45 ACP at 0.898" .
Energy is reported equal to the .44 Remington Magnum performance, which is why a good strong 1911 fame is needed
note the 460 Rowland longer case vs. 45ACP shorter case.

For more information please see:
ammo-one.com/460Rowland.html
Thank you and don’t forget to VOTE

if your voting for McCain you should vote on Tuesday 11/4.
if your voting for Obama, you should vote on Wed. 11/5.
small joke.
Dave Call
www.ammo-one.com[/quote]

[quote=“Daniel Watters”]Pivi’s correct. That’s the cartridge OAL, not case length.[/quote] yes it is .956" case, Typo. Thanks, Dave

So it is almost identical to the 451 Detonics magnum,although very slightly longer (.945" vs .956").

The 460 Rowland puts out 798 foot pounds of energy, the the 451 Detonics put out up to 645 foot pounds. I assume? the added case length and powder charge increased the pressures to get the extra foot pounds of energy, but I am not a ballistics engineer, so have to assume.
In you want to really up the energy to 875 and make a .50 cal hole vs a .45 cal hole try a 50 GI
The smaller cartridge in the bottom picture is the 45ACP compared to the large 50 GI

for more information click here: ammo-one.com/50GI.html
Thanks,
Dave Call
www.ammo-one.com
www.

Dave,
I was speaking about the external dimensions,not about the charge density or about the power of the 460 rowland and 451 detonics.

I already have a 50 GI sample…very nice round

Across the top of the forum page, right underneath the graphic there are several links- Rss. IAA Home, Join the IAA, FAQ, Search, etc.

Just click on “search” and you can look for anything which has appeared in the forum.

From a practical point of view what is the purpose / motivation behind the development of this calibre?
While its always obvious that “a bigger bang” will appeal to a few the so called attributes of this calibre over and above the standard .45ACP would work against it rather than in its favour?

It would be uncontrolable, inaccurate and have virtually no second shot follow up capability. On a soft (human) target the extra power would be wasted and in urban areas could be a liability.

Its a wooden chocolate bar.

[quote=“Vince Green”]From a practical point of view what is the purpose / motivation behind the development of this calibre?
[/quote]

Practical, since when does a round need to be practical ;-)

The cartridge was designed for hunting. The conversion unit is designed around one of Jim Clark’s match barrels equipped with a dual chamber/four port compensator (muzzle brake). The extra weight of the compensator helps to keep the gun from beating itself to pieces while still using a reasonable recoil spring.